Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/17 18:14:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Why Would Apache be so slow??

Hi All,

I am using Apache 2.4 and it is taking 10s of seconds to download small files. for example:

200 49018 5046875

The firs param is the http status the second the file size and the third the time %D or 5 seconds.

I tried a dsl speed test and I am getting 2Mbps upload which seems healthy.
I have a dual core AMD64 5200+ with SATA2 drives that are defragged. I am using Windows 2000 professional.

Any ideas? Any tools I can use to diagnose the problem? I tried using ab from the Apache bin directory but I get invalid url when I try it.

Should not Apache cache files? I have over 1GB free of fast memory.

I also setup some tuning based on a blog I found I have:

ThreadsPerChild 250
MaxRequestsPerChild  0

ProxyRequests Off

KeepAlive On
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MaxKeepAliveRequests 80

This is extreemly frustrating to see Apache so slow.

Regards,
-Tony

Re: [users@httpd] Why Would Apache be so slow??

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andre,

Here is another thought that might explain things. Suppose a web page has up to 10 22KB images for tabs and the browser opens up say 8 sockets and the bandwidth of the user was 1Mbps. Would the fact that many sockets were allowed by the browser saturate the user side bandwidth? Like CPU utilization the network folks might normally want to run it lower else the number of collisions might get so high the overall effect might be a large delay or load time.

I thought somewhere on the Apache site there was a recommendation to number of images to a page and the size?

Just wondering,
-Tony

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Andre,

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
[...]

You may want to repeat these tests a number of times, to also eliminate

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the advice. I did make a change to the modules section but like you said I suspect the problem is outside of Apache.

My network setup uses a DLINK 1Gbps gaming router connected to the ISP wire to fiber converter then from there to the internet somehow. On the other side of my router I use 1Gbps cable connecting to 1Gbps lan cards.

I tried tests where I used a computer (Laptop) on my local network (which goes through indicates the request comes through my router and after clearing the cache reloaded the site and in my logs:

200 22834 234375

so 23KB took .234 seconds or 780Kbps which seems slow but then for my configuration not sure if this is slow but much better than what I see in my logs for requests coming through the ISP router and through the internet.

If I try from the browser on the machine that is hosting the Apache server/site then it is extreemly fast. I get typically 15-32msec for a 22K file with a http status of 200 not 304.

I called my ISP and they said try  a dsl speed test which went up to 2Mbps upload but not sure if that is a true test of uploading html files through the system.

I will keep trying to understand and do some tests outside my network to see what happens.

Many Thanks,
-Tony

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Tony Anecito wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Apache 2.4 and it is taking 10s of seconds to download small files. for example:
>
> 200 49018 5046875

[...]

Posted by Glen Barber <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any ideas? Any tools I can use to diagnose the problem? I tried using ab from the Apache bin directory but I get invalid url when I try it.

There is a tool called 'apachetop', but I don't know if it is
available for Win32.

--
Glen Barber

Re: [users@httpd] Why Would Apache be so slow??

Posted by Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Okay. I enabled loading of what I hope are the right modules and added if statements for mem cache.

Hopefully this solves the problem.

My conf file section I changes now is:

LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule auth_basic_module modules/mod_auth_basic.so
#LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
#LoadModule authn_anon_module modules/mod_authn_anon.so
#LoadModule authn_dbm_module modules/mod_authn_dbm.so
LoadModule authn_default_module modules/mod_authn_default.so
LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
#LoadModule authz_dbm_module modules/mod_authz_dbm.so
LoadModule authz_default_module modules/mod_authz_default.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so
LoadModule authz_host_module modules/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
#LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
#LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
#LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule file_cache_module modules/mod_file_cache.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule imagemap_module modules/mod_imagemap.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
#LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule isapi_module modules/mod_isapi.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
#LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
#LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
#LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
#LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
#LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
#LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
#LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
#LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
#LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
#LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
#LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule logio_module modules/mod_logio.so
LoadModule logio_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so

ProxyRequests Off

KeepAlive On
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MaxKeepAliveRequests 80