Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Juan Rivera <Ju...@citrix.com> on 2003/03/11 18:44:36 UTC

Apache UTF-8

I'm starting to look into what would it takes to support UTF-8 in
configuration files. This means modules must have to handle parameters in
UTF-8 format.

Anybody has any pointers that can help me?

I think making Apache UTF-8 compliant will be very helpful. Do you guys
agree?

  _____

Juan C. Rivera

Citrix Systems, Inc

Tel: (954)229-6391

Re: Apache UTF-8

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Win32 and some UTF-8 unicies effectively are, as their file names are
all in utf-8.  About the only non-ASCII stuff in your .conf file are usually
comments and file names and paths, and uri's.  There is no translation
(and will probably never be) so your httpd.conf should just follow your
site and platform conventions.

In any case, there is alot more work to be done around the arguments
to and from the clients - there is no defined way for a request to indicate
the character set the request is coming in with.  One group advocates
that all URI's should be sent in UTF-8.  Existing browsers are a real
obstacle to 'enforcing' that.

In any case, I don't see why you can't use UTF-8 right now, 99.5% of
most configuration files are ASCII subsets, common to UTF-8.  *If* your
filenames and paths are in UTF-8 use that.  If they are in another
encoding, you must use that specific encoding in your httpd.conf file.

There really is no magic to it.  Apache directives are all ASCII-subset.

Bill

(Don't post HTML messages to mailing lists please.)