Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Adam Fowler <Ad...@ideagen.co.uk> on 2004/05/10 17:31:35 UTC

IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...

Hello all,

I've just read through the WIKI and found out about the IMAP2 effort (code
only in CVS).

It says in the WIKI that it does not yet support permanent storage of
messages. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow night, and was wondering
if there's any simple pointers anyone could give me on writing a storage
mechanism. i.e. is there an API available to build such a 'plugin' or will
this require mass hackage of the imap2 stuff?

I've spotted this (GPL'ed): http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/

If possible, I'll hack together a mock interface to it, test it and
contribute it. If anyone knows of an apache licensed version that'd prolly
be better. (yes? Is this work underway?)

The reason I'm interested (read: desperate) is that I've got Exim setup for
SMTP on a box of mine and courier-imap is horrid vis a vis LDAP access for
authentication. If James supports LDAP for authentication (or uses JAAS -
will look tomorrow) that's great, if not I'd rather hack together some Java
code than get into a mishmash of BASH and C.

If anyone else is interested in this/knows how best to proceed then please
e-mail me your thoughts.

Regards,

Adam.

This email and any files attached is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, including any attachment, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to verify this e-mail and any attachments to it to be virus free as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with virus detection software.

Re: IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Adam Fowler wrote:
> It says in the WIKI that it does not yet support permanent storage of
> messages. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow night, and was wondering
> if there's any simple pointers anyone could give me on writing a storage
> mechanism. i.e. is there an API available to build such a 'plugin' or will
> this require mass hackage of the imap2 stuff?

Not sure what you mean by this.  We have no API/requirements for the
storage mechanism, although maybe you can base it off on the in-memory
storage the proposal has now.  I'm not sure about the user-attribute
stuff as that would require changing the existing James user repository
interface and implementations.  We had talked about using the JavaMail
Store API for storage of POP3/IMAP folders, as a possible replacement or
enhancement of the existing MailRepository, but it's not so simple a change.

> I've spotted this (GPL'ed): http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/
>
> If possible, I'll hack together a mock interface to it, test it and
> contribute it. If anyone knows of an apache licensed version that'd prolly
> be better. (yes? Is this work underway?)

That's not compatible (even with the wrapper), but I believe there is a
work-in-progress maildir parser in CVS or JIRA at this point.

> The reason I'm interested (read: desperate) is that I've got Exim setup for
> SMTP on a box of mine and courier-imap is horrid vis a vis LDAP access for
> authentication. If James supports LDAP for authentication (or uses JAAS -
> will look tomorrow) that's great, if not I'd rather hack together some Java
> code than get into a mishmash of BASH and C.

There was support for LDAP, but I couldn't swear it was working.  JAAS
is a real pain from what I've seen (no real runtime management), but
LDAP through JNDI is pretty easy to do comparatively.

> If anyone else is interested in this/knows how best to proceed then please
> e-mail me your thoughts.

Hopefully this gives you something useful and others can chime in as you
get more questions and dig into this.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > We have another contribution of a maildir implementation for our code.
It
> > will be merged into CVS sometime this month.
> is this code currently visible somewhere?

It is in the mail archives, since it was submitted as an attachment, along
with a bunch of other contributions.

	--- Noel

Re: IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...

Posted by Joe Cheng <jm...@alum.mit.edu>.
>We have another contribution of a maildir implementation for our code.  It
>will be merged into CVS sometime this month.

Noel, is this code currently visible somewhere?

RE: IMAP and maildir (and a bit of LDAP)...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've just read through the WIKI and found out about the IMAP2 effort
> (code only in CVS).

And now you want to read the mailing list archives
(http://mail-archives.apache.org).  :-)

> I've spotted this (GPL'ed): http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/

We have another contribution of a maildir implementation for our code.  It
will be merged into CVS sometime this month.

> If James supports LDAP for authentication (or uses JAAS - will
> look tomorrow) that's great

Not yet.  On the agenda.  See http://incubator.apache.org/directory.  There
are other issues, too, that need to be addressed.

	--- Noel