Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/11/23 09:26:02 UTC

[general][io][bzip2] BZip2, Tar and Zip libraries

Commons-IO contains a tar package and a zip package under a compress
package.

Both came from Avalon's Excalibur, but originally from Ant, as far as
life in Apache goes. The tar package is originally Tim Endres' public
domain package.

Both are available at:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/

I would like to remove these from Commons-IO, as they don't really fit
there. I also wonder if the Commons-BZip2 component is worth keeping there
or if it should be removed.

Does anyone mind?

Does anyone have a better idea as to where they could live? Ant-tools
seems most likely to be the definitive location for bzip2, tar and zip.

Hen

Re: [general][io][bzip2] BZip2, Tar and Zip libraries

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I'd like to see a "compression" package in either Jakarta Commons or
> Apache Commons. IMHO Ant is not the right place for that code because
> that way it won't be found. I guess we need to talk to the Ant guys
> about that.

Pulled them out of IO.

Tests don't pass currently for tar, will push them back in as a 'compress'
component, though some had complained about the name as tar doesn't
compress.

At least this stops them hiding away inside IO and might get them a bit
more notice.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
(Comments below)

On 23.11.2003 09:26:02 Henri Yandell wrote:

> Commons-IO contains a tar package and a zip package under a compress
> package.
>
> Both came from Avalon's Excalibur, but originally from Ant, as far as
> life in Apache goes. The tar package is originally Tim Endres' public
> domain package.
>
> Both are available at:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/
>
> I would like to remove these from Commons-IO, as they don't really fit
> there. I also wonder if the Commons-BZip2 component is worth keeping there
> or if it should be removed.
>
> Does anyone mind?

No. They don't belong in IO. bzip2 is also a duplicate of Ant's bzip2
although I guess there will be differences but Ant's code will certainly
be more advanced.

> Does anyone have a better idea as to where they could live? Ant-tools
> seems most likely to be the definitive location for bzip2, tar and zip.

I'd like to see a "compression" package in either Jakarta Commons or
Apache Commons. IMHO Ant is not the right place for that code because
that way it won't be found. I guess we need to talk to the Ant guys
about that.

Jeremias Maerki