Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Tawfik, Sameh E" <Sa...@fairisaac.com> on 2007/07/21 03:15:04 UTC

RE: How to use ${project.build.directory}?

Hi,

I'm using the following code:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>connector</groupId>
      <artifactId>connector</artifactId>
      <version>1_0</version>
      <scope>system</scope>

<systemPath>${Build_base}/ma-jdm-tck/lib/connector_1_0.jar</systemPath>
    </dependency>

This code is working fine, but it requires everyone to define the
"Build_base" system variable, so is there is another way, where I can
reference the folder where this jar is located without using a system
variable?

For example, can I use something like ${project.build.directory}?

I've a parent folder "Project" where all the build modules are under it
as sub projects, so it would be nice to be able to reference the parent
folder, and then point to  any needed third party jar file in any one of
the subfolders.

I know I can also use mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=connector
-DartifactId=connector  -Dversion=1_0 -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file

But, it would be nice to just reference specific files by pointing at
them using their path, so does Maven support this feature?

Thanks,

    Sameh

Re: How to use ${project.build.directory}?

Posted by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com>.
When we run maven JUnits - and ensure that testing is successful. - run mvn
test
but its through out exception and looks like it did not run properly JUnit
in project.
How the first step to check where is error in configuration  / setting sof
maven and fix this error

thanks,
DT
www.ejinz.com
Search Shopping

Re: Maven standard directory layout question

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 7/30/07, Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This means that by adopting Maven's standard conventions, we can package
> resources within JARs, simply by placing those resources in a standard
> directory structure. But when we put resources in standard directory we get
> nothing -what we did wrong?

You really haven't given us enough info to help.  Where did you put
them, exactly?  Did you add any additional resources config to your
pom?

--
Wendy

Maven standard directory layout question

Posted by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com>.
We are suing common  case which requires no changes to the POM project -
the packaging

of resources into a JAR file. Maven again uses for this task the standard
directory layout.

This means that by adopting Maven's standard conventions, we can package
resources within JARs, simply by placing those resources in a standard
directory structure. But when we put resources in standard directory we get
nothing -what we did wrong?

thanks,

DT

www.ejinz.com EjinZ

Search Shopping

Re: Differences between dependencies

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Release is a specific version ie Apache log4j, latest release is
1.2.14, no matter how many times you download it, the source code and
binary jar for this release will be the same.

Snapshot is used for development ie Apache log4j, say their current
"working" version is 1.2.15-SNAPSHOT. So every day they are adding new
code and pushing out updates etc. Until 1.2.15 becomes final
(released), they will continue pushing out nightly builds which will
all be named 1.2.15-SNAPSHOT, and Maven will automatically download
the new SNAPSHOT every day (or when forced with -U).

So when you're working on code and not ready to release it as a
specific version, you must use x.y.z-SNAPSHOT versions. Then when
you're happy and want to release it, you change the version to x.y.z
and do a formal release. But once you've done a release, you CAN'T
change it -- any changes have to be released in another, later
version.

Wayne

Re: Creating maven project issue

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.
It depends on what the error is, but if the structure below is your
whole pom file, it isn't valid XML, it's missing a closing tag for
<project> and the last </dependency> tag should be </dependencies>. So
some more information may be necessary.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

Posted by "Joel COSTIGLIOLA (Services DPT SYSTEME D INFORMATION METIER)" <jo...@ext.anpe.fr>.
Hi,

I have also have some "Failed to validate POM" warning on a dependency from a project of mine. When I run mvn validate on this particular dependency, it's ok so I'm still wondering why such warnings.

does anyone has solved this issue ? (its not so big deal but it produces a lot of warning trace which makes maven execution trace hard to read).

Can this issue be solved by using an inhouse repository ?

Posted by Michael Meyer <mi...@bluewin.ch>.
Hi,
yes you can use maven properties. This should do what you want:

<dependency>
   <groupId>connector</groupId>
   <artifactId>connector</artifactId>
   <version>1_0</version>
   <scope>system</scope>
   <systemPath>${basedir}/../ma-jdm-tck/lib/connector_1_0.jar</systemPath>
</dependency>

But please don't do it! If you use a continuus integration tool like continuum or hudson they will try to build your modules individually. This will not work if you have this kind of dependencies
between your modules. So if where you I would really go for an inhouse repository (It's only a webserver like apache after all). You can then deploy your 3rd party jars once to this repository with

Re: Maven local process artifacts

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
First off, I think you probably should avoid doing this. I think you
will run into troubles down the line if/when changes in Spring cause
your older projects to break, so suddenly you can't use the latest
Spring in all your projects, etc.

Having said that, you could create a single Super Parent POM (with the
Spring framework as a dependency) and tell all your other projects and
modules to utilize that pom as their parent.

Wayne

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
I second Wendy's or Michael's suggestions - avoid system scope at all costs.
Moreover, it may be removed in future versions of Maven, so don't depend on
it being there forever. May as well make preperations now :)

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven plugin eclipse question

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
As Dan mentioned, this is not currently a supported feature of the
Eclipse plugin.

If you require this functionality, I'd suggest you hack the sources
yourself to add it, as I expect this is not a feature that many people
are interested in. I don't see a lot of value in this feature (not
adding dependencies to the .classpath file when constructing the
Eclipse files) personally, but I could be wrong.

Wayne

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I still dont get the main reason why you dont want eclipse the
generate
.classpath with al dependencies.

It seems your maven pom files have dependencies in them, and then you DONT
want the same dependency
list show up in you eclipse projects files Kind a odd thou.

-D

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Quality level attribute during version selection process

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Maven (1 and 2) does not currently support this feature. It was simply
a "feature request" by a user of Maven.

I have no idea if or when the Maven Dev team might consider adding it
to Maven2. If you require this feature, and you know Ivy supports it
currently, then I'd just use Ivy.

Wayne

Re: Maven coherent dependencies build

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
What "didn't work"? What happened vs what did you expect to happen? We
need more details to be able to help.

And what is a "coherent dependency"?

Wayne

Re: Maven Source filtering issue

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry wrote:
> I want to be able to interpolate ${pom.version} in Java source code
> before compilation. How can I do this (Eclipse IDE)?
>
> I see that there is a simple way to turn on resource filtering, but that
> does not appear to be applicable to source code.
>
> I also see that the process-sources phase is where source filtering
> should be done, but I can find no description of how to do this.
>
> What am I missing?

I have used maven-antrun-plugin for this kind of thing - for an example,
see my earlier post from today entitled "Re: Generate Version class".

Steve

Maven Source filtering issue

Posted by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com>.
I want to be able to interpolate ${pom.version} in Java source code before
compilation. How can I do this (Eclipse IDE)?

I see that there is a simple way to turn on resource filtering, but that
does not appear to be applicable to source code.

I also see that the process-sources phase is where source filtering should
be done, but I can find no description of how to do this.

What am I missing?

thanks in advance, Dmitry

www.ejinz.com Search Engine

Re: Maven dependencies issues

Posted by Dmitry <dm...@hotmail.com>.
Henry,
I will take a look..
thanks,
dt
www.ejinz.com
Search Progress
Posted by Henry Isidro <hi...@exist.com>.
This might prove helpful

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry wrote:
> My application is a jar file and when I run mvn package it generates my
> jar ok.
>
> But I need to distribute my app with all the related jar dependencies so
> I wonder how could I do it with maven2..
>
> Actually, I did an ant task that at package cycle copy my project
> depdenciens from mvnrepository to a lib folder inside target folder. It
> works well but force me to make the list of files to be copied by hand.
> I want to see maven doing this job automatically...
>
> Is this posible ?

Have you looked at appassembler-maven-plugin
<http://mojo.codehaus.org/appassembler/appassembler-maven-plugin/introduction.html>?

Steve

Maven dependencies issues