Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Econopouly <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2000/07/04 21:02:16 UTC

Re: Since there's no FAQ...

>From: kov@mitpress.mit.edu (Ken Overton)
>Subject: Since there's no FAQ...

There is a bit of a FAQ... see http://jakarta.apache.org/faq/faqindex.html
Also, the uguide that came with your install answers alot.

>Thus, the big problems are a) getting my classes to succesfully
>find their data files; and b) getting the HTML <servlet> references to
>class objects (a la "com.bar.foo.Thingy.Thinglette") to work.
>
>1) What does tomcat understand it's working directory to be at
>startup?  Can that be specified somewhere?

Whatever your TOMCAT_HOME/webapps.
Then you define a servlet context (just check what is done with
"examples", the example servlet context it comes preloaded with).
Basically, from memory, if you define context "bs",
applet classes and html pages should be in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/bs
(or should have their root start there in case of packages
com/bla/bla.class)
servlet classes are typically in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/bs/WEB-INF/classes
(or should have their root start there in case of packages
com/bla/bla.class), especially if you want auto-reload to work.

>2) What does tomcat understand it's CLASSPATH to be at startup?  Can
>that be specified somewhere?

Whatever is in the user's environment at startup.  I tend to define
it in the startup script: (from memory...) TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh

>3) In my binary distribution there was a conf directory with XML
>(server&web) and conf/properties files
>(tomcat.conf,tomcat.properties).  I removed tomcat.conf and
>tomcat.properties; is there a point to having them?

I use tomcat.conf to connect tomcat to apache.  Usually you include
it at the bottom of httpd.conf.  I'm not sure if it's used in standalone
mode.  I would guess not.