Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ed Nixon <ed...@LynnParkPlace.org> on 2001/09/26 15:27:56 UTC

the saga continues: cocoon2rc1a with tomcat4.0 (as a service on win2K)

This is a continuation of a thread begun yesterday on cocoon-users. I've
cross posted in the hopes that the feedback and solutions will be quicker.

According to various sources, cocoon2rc1a and tomcat4 can be run together if:
- crimson.jar and jaxp.jar in the tomcat_home/common/lib directory are
replaced by xerxes and xalan from the cocoon2 distribution.
- all other steps in the build, install documentation are completed as
documented for tomcat4.0

this enables the cocoon demo pages to be run, provided the tomcat server is
operating in console mode.

On win2k it is possible to run tomcat as a service. Because of issues with
classpaths when running as a service, the cocoon servlet environment does
not work. http://www.pigbite.co.uk/ctwig/index.html notes this problem and
suggests changes to a file called tomcat_home\conf\wrapper.properties to
update classpath information regarding xerxes and xalan presumably.

Unfortunately wrapper.properties does not exist in my/the tomcat4.0
distribution. this is the windows MSI installation package.
(wrapper.properties does not exist in the zip distribution either, by the way.)

Can anyone suggest
- whether classpaths are in fact the issue with cocoon2, tomcat and win2k
service?
- where to find the file(s) in tomcat that duplicate the functionality of
wrapper.properties with respect to classpaths?

thanks for your help.                    ...edN

Re: the saga continues: cocoon2rc1a with tomcat4.0 (as a service on win2K)

Posted by Ed Nixon <ed...@LynnParkPlace.org>.
I have an apology to make. I should have checked this post for accuracy and
more detail

It looks as if cocoon 2 and tomcat 4 (as a service on win2k) do function,
at least with regard to the demo page and links -- at least as long as the
initial execution of the cocoon.war file, creation of the cocoon
subdirectory, etc has been completed.

The problems I was having yesterday were occurring each time I tried to
access http://localhost:8080/cocoon/ *for the first time*. Those of you who
understand how this all hangs together better than I do may have a
plausible explanation for why this might be the case.

thanks and again apologies for wasted bandwidth and
time.                    ...edN

Posted by Ed Nixon <ed...@LynnParkPlace.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
I have default installation of Tomcat 4 (no mods), dropped there cocoon.war, and it's working.
No tomcat libs were replaced/removed.

Platform: JDK1.3.1 on Win, Tomcat 4.0.

Regards,
Vadim