Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/13 14:42:41 UTC

Re: toString()

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:35, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Re recent diffs....
>
> Generally I am against overriding toString() in classes.

I can't remember where I did it exactly ... where was that again ? ;)

>The only way
> you can get the true object reference for debugging is to do a toString
>
> : "org.apache.Thing@a3b2c3"  That is useful when you are hunting

You can also do

System.identityHashcode( myObject )

or even

myObject.getClass().getName() + "@" + System.identityHashcode( myObject )

if you want the exact same format ;)

> problems with multiple instances of a thing or the wrong instance of
> thing.  Of course I am talking of traditional debugging  -
> System.out.println("blah blah " + m_thing).  By overriding toString()
> that is not longer possible.  Perhaps another method name for what you
> are trying to do?  "String debug()"

Maybe - as I said can't remember where I did it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: toString()

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>System.identityHashcode( myObject )

Thaks to Peter and Joe, I have a new system function for my arsenal.  I
stand corrected.

- Paul