Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Paul Simon <wr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/16 14:59:13 UTC

windows and apache/mod_perl?

Is it worth installing apache 1.x and mod_perl 1.x on
windows if apache2/mod_perl2/perl5.8 run on windows?

Thanks

Re: windows and apache/mod_perl?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Paul Simon wrote:
> I started out with apache1.x. It didn't make sense
> using it, since apache2 was built to work with
> window's native environment, according to my
> understanding of the documentation. Plus, I read that
> apache1.x doesn't serve concurrent requests on
> windows. Doesn't that defeat a large part of what a
> web server (and mod_perl) is supposed to do?

It does. But perl interpreters weren't thread-safe, so serialization is the
only way to make it work at all. It is sort of a known fact that mod_perl 1.0
on win32 is not very useful in production.

See:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/getwet.html#Installing_mod_perl_for_Windows
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/os/win32/multithread.html#Does_it_really_matter_

Re: windows and apache/mod_perl?

Posted by Paul Simon <wr...@yahoo.com>.
I started out with apache1.x. It didn't make sense
using it, since apache2 was built to work with
window's native environment, according to my
understanding of the documentation. Plus, I read that
apache1.x doesn't serve concurrent requests on
windows. Doesn't that defeat a large part of what a
web server (and mod_perl) is supposed to do? Thanks
for the feedback.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.