Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> on 2003/08/21 11:23:20 UTC

cvs2svn breakage

Hi....

Subversion appears to be a great product. I installed it 2 days ago and it
looks very nice. Now I tried to import my CVS repository which is for me
the key point to migrate from CVS to SVN when this succeeds I will shutdown
my CVS immediately....

But cvs2svn.py breaks after a considerable time and 7976 revisions with the
following python traceback...

===================================
new revision: 7976
committing: Mon Mar 11 16:28:24 2002, over 0 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 2263, in ?
    main()
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 2259, in main
    convert(ctx, start_pass=start_pass)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 2138, in convert
    _passes[i](ctx)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 2073, in pass4
    c.commit(dumper, ctx, sym_tracker)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1832, in commit
    sym_tracker.fill_branch(dumper, ctx, br)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1676, in fill_branch
    self.fill_name(dumper, ctx, branch, None, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1634, in fill_name
    is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1554, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1554, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1554, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1554, in copy_descend
    next_src, next_dst, is_tag, jit_new_rev)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 1529, in copy_descend
    dumper.copy_path(src_path, parent_rev, copy_dst, val)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 979, in copy_path
    entries)
  File "./cvs2svn.py", line 673, in change_path
    approved_entries = new_val.get(self.approved_entries) or { }
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'
===================================

Is something known about it? Is it a problem of cvs2svn or of my
repository? What can be done against it?
I use the source out of the 0.27 tarball and I run on suse linux 8.0

Thanks for your help,

Roland

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi...

kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net wrote on 21.08.2003 20:05:39:

> Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu> writes:
> > May I ask. What is a bug number?
>
> You may, but I haven't time to isolate which one :-), sorry.  I can
> tell you it is definitely one of the bugs in the 'cvs2svn-1.0'
> milestone, though.
>
> (It's not trivial to map between issue-tracker-summary and bug symptom
> with cvs2svn, otherwise I would be able to tell you quickly.  But I
> know this bug is in there, because Mike and I spent a long time
> diagnosing it and planning the fix ... which we haven't had time to
> implement yet, unfortunately.).

I took a look into your issuezilla and is it might be #1440
At least the resulting error of cvs2svn appears to be the same...

Roland, instantly hoping you will find the time to fix this soon...

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu> writes:
> May I ask. What is a bug number?

You may, but I haven't time to isolate which one :-), sorry.  I can
tell you it is definitely one of the bugs in the 'cvs2svn-1.0'
milestone, though.

(It's not trivial to map between issue-tracker-summary and bug symptom
with cvs2svn, otherwise I would be able to tell you quickly.  But I
know this bug is in there, because Mike and I spent a long time
diagnosing it and planning the fix ... which we haven't had time to
implement yet, unfortunately.).

-Karl

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:
>
>>Is something known about it? Is it a problem of cvs2svn or of my
>>repository? What can be done against it?
>>I use the source out of the 0.27 tarball and I run on suse linux 8.0
>

> It's a known bug in cvs2svn.py; but fixing it is not scheduled yet.

May I ask. What is a bug number?

--
Dmitri Priimak

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:
> Roland, still hoping to get one of the 2 converters running....

Good luck!  Automated conversion is actually a non-trivial problem,
otherwise it would have been done long ago.

> PS: I am off for a few days now (for getting married) so there will be no
> reply from my side till beginning of september... I will respond imedeately
> when I am back.

:-)  Congrats!

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi...

kfoge wrote on 21.08.2003 16:25:02:
>    > http://svn.clkao.org/revml/branches/svn-perl/
>    >
>    > document at
>    >
>    > http://svn.clkao.org/revml/branches/svn-perl/lib/VCP/Dest/svn.pm

In the meantime I tried it... It fails for me as well, after 1 hour
processing it generated 134 revisions in a new SVN repository (out of
either 64654 or 129110 revisions, I am not sure what is the correct number
from the vcp output).

Btw: the canonical URL to VCP might be
http://public.perforce.com/public/revml/index.html
but there is no SVN mentioned. I used the description posted here on the
list.
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=38644

Roland, still hoping to get one of the 2 converters running....

PS: I am off for a few days now (for getting married) so there will be no
reply from my side till beginning of september... I will respond imedeately
when I am back.

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:
> > It's a known bug in cvs2svn.py; but fixing it is not scheduled yet.
> Do you have already any rough number when it will be fixed?

No.  I hope before December, but I cannot promise.

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi...

Thanks for your reply...

> It's a known bug in cvs2svn.py; but fixing it is not scheduled yet.
Do you have already any rough number when it will be fixed?

> Have you tried the VCP cvs->svn converter?
I will take a look at it immediately.

My problem is I need to convert my CVS to SVN between Sep,16 and Okt,1 this
year or I will have to stick with CVS maybe forever (which means at least
for one year more)...

Roland

Re: cvs2svn breakage

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:
> Is something known about it? Is it a problem of cvs2svn or of my
> repository? What can be done against it?
> I use the source out of the 0.27 tarball and I run on suse linux 8.0

It's a known bug in cvs2svn.py; but fixing it is not scheduled yet.
Have you tried the VCP cvs->svn converter?

   > http://svn.clkao.org/revml/branches/svn-perl/
   >
   > document at
   >
   > http://svn.clkao.org/revml/branches/svn-perl/lib/VCP/Dest/svn.pm

(I'm not sure of the "canonical" url for the VCP converter anymore.
If someone knows a better address than the above, please post.)

-Karl