Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Jacob Ferriero <jf...@google.com> on 2020/03/11 02:50:26 UTC

[Newbie Contributing Question] How to add a dependency?

Hi beam dev list,

Hoping to find some pointers on how to best add a dependency for a new GCP
IO connector.
Specifically I want to add a dependency on the Cloud Healthcare API or the
equivalent of this section of a maven pom.xml:
```xml
    <properties>
      <healthcare.version>v1alpha2-rev20190901-1.30.1</healthcare.version>
      <http.client.version>1.30.1</http.client.version>
    </properties>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.google.http-client</groupId>
      <artifactId>google-http-client-gson</artifactId>
      <version>${http.client.version}</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.google.apis</groupId>
      <artifactId>google-api-services-healthcare</artifactId>
      <version>${healthcare.version}</version>
    </dependency
```
I know I'm one step away looking at this build.gradle
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/build.gradle#L30

*Background:*
I'm a first time contributor working on a PR for BEAM-9468
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/BEAM/issues/BEAM-9468> an issue I
opened to create a new GCP IO connector for a series of use cases we have
in the healthcare space.
I'm completely new to gradle. I started my development in a fork of
https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/DataflowTemplates which uses
maven but then decided these would better be to contribute these IO
connectors upstream.

--

*Jacob Ferriero*

Strategic Cloud Engineer: Data Engineering

jferriero@google.com

617-714-2509 <(617)%20714-2509>

Re: [Newbie Contributing Question] How to add a dependency?

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.
Hi Jacob,

You'll need to modify BeamModulePlugin.groovy, which defines a big map of
Maven artifacts. The map is referenced by each module such as the
google-cloud-platform/build.gradle.
Example PR to touch dependencies:
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/11063/files

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:22 PM Jacob Ferriero <jf...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi beam dev list,
>
> Hoping to find some pointers on how to best add a dependency for a new GCP
> IO connector.
> Specifically I want to add a dependency on the Cloud Healthcare API or the
> equivalent of this section of a maven pom.xml:
> ```xml
>     <properties>
>       <healthcare.version>v1alpha2-rev20190901-1.30.1</healthcare.version>
>       <http.client.version>1.30.1</http.client.version>
>     </properties>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>com.google.http-client</groupId>
>       <artifactId>google-http-client-gson</artifactId>
>       <version>${http.client.version}</version>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>com.google.apis</groupId>
>       <artifactId>google-api-services-healthcare</artifactId>
>       <version>${healthcare.version}</version>
>     </dependency
> ```
> I know I'm one step away looking at this build.gradle
> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/build.gradle#L30
>
> *Background:*
> I'm a first time contributor working on a PR for BEAM-9468
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/BEAM/issues/BEAM-9468> an issue
> I opened to create a new GCP IO connector for a series of use cases we have
> in the healthcare space.
> I'm completely new to gradle. I started my development in a fork of
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/DataflowTemplates which uses
> maven but then decided these would better be to contribute these IO
> connectors upstream.
>
> --
>
> *Jacob Ferriero*
>
> Strategic Cloud Engineer: Data Engineering
>
> jferriero@google.com
>
> 617-714-2509 <(617)%20714-2509>

Tomo