Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2008/07/03 10:45:50 UTC

Runtime Configuration - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

The runtime configuration is nearly complete
and just needs a bit of polishing. I'd ask if we
can merge the branch back to trunk soon to
get it more widely exposed and tested and
hopefully stable for the 0.9 release.

Since it changes the names of configuration
variables it must come with big warning signs
or a smooth migration path (that we have to
come up with, yet).

Cheers
Jan

Re: Runtime Configuration - Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
In addition to the runtime configuration system,
this branch comes with an erlang-based unit
test system that can be run on installation time
without the browser. This is, for now, to unit-test
internals and not the HTTP API for wich the Futon-
based test suite works just fine.

I have only added a few unit tests for the runtime
config so far but I plan to expand it. This can also
be used by other modules within CouchDB. For the
time being, this is a very simple erlang module, but
we might want to do the switch to eunit here which
is a more comprehensive solution to unit testing
soonish. Since unit testing usually involves declaring
functions that are then called by the testing framework,
I'd say it is not that hard to switch from the simple
one we have now to eunit, it doesn't matter if we
wait with the eunit switch and instead start writing
more tests against the current suite. (Well, I can't
call it a framework or suite, it is just a few lines of
code that I stole from David Reid (not the Apache
one)).

Additionally, Noah was so kind to hook up edoc
generation to the build system. edoc is javadoc
for Erlang. The build system scans our .erl files
and generates a nice HTML API reference. The
runtime config modules already are documented
completely with edoc comments and I think we
should make the same true for the rest of our
modules as we go along. edoc is extemely simple
to understand and this should be easy.

Both things will come with the runtime config
branch and are "only" additions to the codebase
that don't introduce new features or otherwise
interfere with the existing code so them being
in a transient state for a release is no big deal
I think and I don't think that we need to make
any of them a priority for either release, while
they are certainly nice to have.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 10:45:50AM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Since it changes the names of configuration variables it must come with big
> warning signs or a smooth migration path (that we have to come up with, yet).

I don't think we need to worry about this until we release 0.9.

I say, merge to trunk and put a notice in NEWS.

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/