Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jabbar <aj...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/29 17:29:17 UTC

Uneven CPU load on a 4 node cluster

Hello,

I've been testing a four identical node cassanda 1.2 cluster for a number
of days. I have written a c# client using cassandra sharp() which inserts
data into a table.

The keyspace difinition is

CREATE KEYSPACE "data"
 WITH REPLICATION = {'class' : 'NetworkTopologyStrategy', 'dc1' : 3};

The table definition is

CREATE TABLE datapoints (
 siteid bigint,
 time timestamp,
 channel int,
 data float,
 PRIMARY KEY ((siteid, channel),time)
)

I am finding that the CPU load on one of the servers stays at ~90% whilst
the load on the other servers stays < 40%. All the servers are supposed to
be identical.

The client library I  am using does load balancing between all nodes.

I have also used the cassandra stress tool as follows

cassandra-stress -d 192.168.21.7,192.168.21.9,192.168.21.12,192.168.21.14
--replication-factor 3 -n 10000000 -t 100

and have found that  it behaves similarly.

Can somebody explain why this happens?

--
Thanks

 A Jabbar Azam

Re: Uneven CPU load on a 4 node cluster

Posted by Andreas Wagner <an...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all,

I'm experiencing very similar effects. Did you (or anyone for that
matter) have/solvethis issue?

I have a 3 node cluster with vnodes having the same #tokens (256).
Infact, all nodes are configured identical and share similar/same
hardware. Cassandra.yaml settings are fairly standard - nothing fancy.

According to "nodetool status" command everything is perfectly balanced.
Running "cassandra-stress -d node_ip1,node_ip2,node_ip3" causes a heavy
load on node_ip1, while node_ip2/3 are almost idle. Data, however, seems
to be distributed evenly. I even get "UnavailableException" for some
keys to be inserted on node_ip1.

I also tried a second run with the scheduling set to "roundrobin" and
made use of the standard "throttlingoption". Unfortunately, nothing changed.

Could someone please provide some pointersand/or insights what I'm doing
wrong?

Thanks so much!
Andreas

Re: Uneven CPU load on a 4 node cluster

Posted by Jabbar <aj...@gmail.com>.
The high CPU node got replaced and now I'm not getting abnormally high CPU
from one node. They all are evenly balanced now.

Posted by Jabbar <aj...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention that I also used

ALTER KEYSPACE "Keyspace1" WITH REPLICATION =
  { 'class' : 'SimpleStrategy', 'replication_factor' : 3 };

To change the replication factor for Keyspace1. For some reason the command
line doesn't me to change the replication factor. I get the following error

Unable to create stress keyspace: Keyspace names must be case-insensitively
unique ("Keyspace1" conflicts with "Keyspace1")

--
Thanks

 A Jabbar Azam