Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2018/08/05 19:17:54 UTC

Spring boot and reconfiguration

Spring boot comes with actuator endpoints that provide a rudimentary ability to display loggers and set levels, but it doesn’t understand filters or anything more complex. Since the log4j2.xml file is included inside the Spring boot app it isn’t possible to monitor it for changes. I am looking for ideas on how we can better support dynamic updating of the logging configuration, perhaps by allowing the file to reside in Spring Cloud Configuration and be monitored there, the ability to expose something that would allow the file to be replaced via REST or something else.

Any ideas?

Ralph

Re: Spring boot and reconfiguration

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
If the ConfigurationSource API can be refactored a bit, I think that could
be an appropriate plugin type for loading, reloading, and potentially even
saving and modifying configs. Sort of a ReadableConfigurationSource and a
WritableConfigurationSource duo. I attempted to abstract the global system
properties/environment variables thing as a pluggable system as well, so
that could include information from more sources like Spring Cloud Config,
Eureka, Vault, etc. etc.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>