Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com> on 2019/05/28 14:16:40 UTC

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Select in allow filtering stalls whole cluster. How to prevent such behavior?

This may sound a bit harsh, but I teach my developers that if they are trying to use ALLOW FILTERING – they are doing it wrong! We often choose Cassandra for its high availability and scalability characteristics. We love no downtime. ALLOW FILTERING is breaking the rules of availability and scalability.

Look at the full text of the error (not just the ending):
Bad Request: Cannot execute this query as it might involve data filtering and thus may have unpredictable performance. If you want to execute this query despite the performance unpredictability, use ALLOW FILTERING.
It is being polite, but it does warn you that performance is unpredictable. I can predict this: allow filtering will not scale. It won’t scale to large numbers of nodes (with small tables) or to large numbers of rows (regardless of node count). If you ignore the admittedly too polite warning, Cassandra will try to answer your query. It does it with a brute force, scan everything approach on all nodes (because you didn’t give it any partitions to target directly). That gets expensive and dangerous quickly. And, yes, it can endanger the whole cluster.

As an administrator, I do think that Cassandra should be able to protect itself better, perhaps by allowing the administrator to disallow those queries at all. It does at least warn you.