Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org> on 2014/04/13 18:45:21 UTC

Tackling the "legacy dilemma"

Hi,

I took some days to let the latest discussion about the state and future
of Mahout go through my head. I think the most important thing to
address right now is the MapReduce "legacy" codebase. A lot of the MR
algorithms are currently unmaintained, documentation is outdated and the
original authors have abandoned Mahout. For some algorithms it is hard
to get even questions answered on the mailinglist (e.g. RandomForest). I
agree with Sean's comments that letting the code linger around is no
option and will continue to harm Mahout.

In the previous discussion, I suggested to make a radical move and aim
to delete this codebase, but there were serious objections from
committers and users that convinced me that there is still usage of and
interested in that codebase.

That puts us into a "legacy dilemma". We cannot delete the code without
harming our userbase. On the other hand, I don't see anyone willing to
rework the codebase. Further, the code cannot linger around anymore as
it is doing now, especially when we fail to answer questions or don't
provide documentation.

*We have to make a move*!

I suggest the following actions with regard to the MR codebase. I hope
that they find consent. If there are objections, please give
alternatives, *keeping everything as-is is not an option*:

  * reject any future MR algorithm contributions, prominently state this
on the website and in talks
  * make all existing algorithm code compatible with Hadoop 2, if there
is no one willing to make an existing algorithm compatible, remove the
algorithm
  * deprecate the existing MR algorithms, yet still take bug fix
contributions
  * remove Random Forest as we cannot even answer questions to the
implementation on the mailinglist

There are two more actions that I would like to see, but'd be willing to
give up if there are objections:

  * move the MR algorithms into a separate maven module
  * remove Frequent Pattern Mining again (we already aimed for that in
0.9 but had one user who shouted but never returned to us)

Let me know what you think.

--sebastian

Re: Tackling the "legacy dilemma"

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Deneb (Giorgio),

The code involved is really quite heinous and we haven't been able to find
volunteers to maintain this code in the past.

It might be possible to maintain a few selected algorithms, but we really
have to move forward.

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
Thanks for this Sebastian. I think the new direction is exciting but indeed
we first should focus on what we all agree on.

+1 on renaming of core to mr-legacy and moving stuff out and deprecating
some of the algorithms.

I would like to help with this restructuring.

Cheers,

Frank

Posted by Manoj Awasthi <aw...@gmail.com>.
Ok - that makes sense. Thanks.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Manoj,

Sounds like a fair trade there.

Hopefully, you would consider upgrading if we get Andy's code ported to the
DSL or if we incorporate the h2o random forest implementation.

Posted by Manoj Awasthi <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi,

 From reading the thread, I have the impression that we agree on the
following actions:

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 13, 2014 10:21 AM, "Ted Dunning" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlieu.7@gmail.com
>wrote:
>
> > >  * move the MR algorithms into a separate maven module
> > You mean, move  them out  of mahout-core? So the core is for single
machine
> > stuff only? Plus utils? We probably need to refactor core so there's no
> > core at all it seems. Our core, realistically, is utils, mahout-math &
> > math-scala(aka scalabindings), engine-agnostic logical layer of
> > mahout-spark. But for obvious reasons we probably dont want to put all
that
> > in a single module. Maybe at some point later when these things become
more
> > mainstream.
>

> This might be viewed as renaming core to be "mr-legacy" and then pulling
> those items we really need out of that.  Math is already separate as are
> scala bindings and similar.

Yes thats what i meant. It looks like it means full dissolution of
mahout-core rather than just moving out mr stuff specifically. I am ok with
that i guess.

Re: Tackling the "legacy dilemma"

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
I am okay with that, just suggesting a method for future.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 13, 2014 9:45 AM, "Sebastian Schelter" <ss...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I took some days to let the latest discussion about the state and future
of Mahout go through my head. I think the most important thing to address
right now is the MapReduce "legacy" codebase. A lot of the MR algorithms
are currently unmaintained, documentation is outdated and the original
authors have abandoned Mahout. For some algorithms it is hard to get even
questions answered on the mailinglist (e.g. RandomForest). I agree with
Sean's comments that letting the code linger around is no option and will
continue to harm Mahout.

> In the previous discussion, I suggested to make a radical move and aim to
delete this codebase, but there were serious objections from committers and
users that convinced me that there is still usage of and interested in that
codebase.

> That puts us into a "legacy dilemma". We cannot delete the code without
harming our userbase. On the other hand, I don't see anyone willing to
rework the codebase. Further, the code cannot linger around anymore as it
is doing now, especially when we fail to answer questions or don't provide
documentation.

> *We have to make a move*!
>
> I suggest the following actions with regard to the MR codebase. I hope
that they find consent. If there are objections, please give alternatives,
*keeping everything as-is is not an option*:

>  * reject any future MR algorithm contributions, prominently state this
on the website and in talks
+1, but more importantly, reject any new author who doesn't agree to
explicitly plegdge a multi-year support.
>  * make all existing algorithm code compatible with Hadoop 2, if there is
no one willing to make an existing algorithm compatible, remove the
algorithm
Ok, although my gut feeling this would take some time

>  * deprecate the existing MR algorithms, yet still take bug fix
contributions
I foresee a bit smoother mr transition. Deprecation means we loose them in
a release. That is, by the fall release. It would seem to me it would take
longer for us to provide full repleacement and convince ourselves of its
production worthiness.
Also, deprecation implies we can point a user to something else with "use
instead". So i wouldn't deprecate methods just now for which we cannot add
this phrase. As somebody menioned, long tail for deprecation is a good
policy here imo.

>  * remove Random Forest as we cannot even answer questions to the
implementation on the mailinglist

Do we know a direct email for FPM and random forest authors? I 'd suggest
to ping them one last time. They just may not be tuned to the list. Both
algorithms are kind of in a bread-and -butter category, it would be a huge
hit in coverage to just lose them without any resuscitation attempt
whatsoever.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
I am ready to order a t-shirt with "Go, Andy! +100" accross it if it makes
any pragmatical sense.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Twigg <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
I meant to deprecate first (and eventually remove) Canopy clustering. This
is in line with the conversation I had with Ted and Frank at AMS about
weaning users away from the old style Canopy->KMeans clustering to start
using Streaming KMeans. No point in keeping Canopy once users switch to
using Streaming KMeans.

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.