Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com> on 2011/11/23 00:55:35 UTC

network spike every 2 hours

We have a hadoop cluster that is only running hbase.  We recently installed ganglia to monitor those
servers.  Looking over the network graphs about every 2 hours there is a very large spike.  Before
the spike we are pushing about 5mb but during the spikes it is around 60-100mb.  I'm pretty sure we
aren't running anything, is hbase doing something that could cause those spikes?

Thanks,
~Jeff

--
Jeff Whiting
Qualtrics Senior Software Engineer

Re: network spike every 2 hours

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
How major compactions are run is a bit dumb, just every 24h and it's
done via a counter on each region. If you don't need them to run
(let's say you don't delete stuff that much), then you can disable
them and cron it to run during low traffic periods. An easy script
would be:

echo "major_compact 'my_table' " | /path/to/hbase/bin/hbase shell

J-D

Posted by Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.