Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2008/03/08 18:32:12 UTC

2.6.2 final items in

Folks,

I just committed fixes for the last remaining issues on 2.6.2.  If
you have no other pressing bugs that you would like to have fixed in
the 2.6 series, we can branch it off and start (finally) working on 2.7.

Opinions?

/Janne

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
Ok. Wasn't sure what we were doing; good to know.

Re: AW: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> Just to get it right, this means I can safely migrate from 2.4 to the
> forthcoming 2.x releases without major headaches. I won't count
> adapting
> templates as a headache here. With 2.7 the package structure
> however will
> change into org.apache.

*2.9*, not 2.7.

2.7 is the development version of 2.8, which should be backwards
compatible with the rest of the 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 series.  Mostly
anyway.

The mission for 2.8 is to produce an Apache-licensed version of
JSPWiki + JDK5 support + some extra small features and fixes.  I
would like to get it done relatively quickly so we can then start a
major change in 3.0.

/Janne

AW: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Christoph Sauer <sa...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
>So my preference would be to keep the current package structure and break
>everything in one go, so as not to cause too much annoyance to developers.
>This seems to be fine, as long as we release through jspwiki.org and not
>through apache.org.

Just to get it right, this means I can safely migrate from 2.4 to the
forthcoming 2.x releases without major headaches. I won't count adapting
templates as a headache here. With 2.7 the package structure however will
change into org.apache. As soon as we call it 3.0 nothing will be the same
anymore, we will have Stripes, Java 5.0 Generics and so on

--Christoph (Sorry, still stuck in 2.4)

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> What about having a transition scheme of releasing both a package of
> core plugins using the apache.org package, and the same set of plugins
> (i.e., same exact code) using the jspwiki.org package? This would be
> marked as transitional but permit a migration strategy. Just a thought
> anyway... we could then state that the jspwiki.org "transitional" set
> of plugins would go away with 3.0, but would be available during that
> transition.

The problem isn't with the plugins per se, but it would be with the
fact that all method signatures would change, which breaks binary
compatibility.  org.apache.jspwiki.WikiEngine is a different class
from com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.

So we would need to release a "compatibility" version of the *entire*
public API, which would pretty much mean a separate release of
JSPWiki.  And I'm not very fond of doing that, as it's extra work.

Note that an Apache-licensed release and Apache-endorsed release are
two different beasts.  We can do the first one without changing the
package names, but we can't do the latter one.

/Janne

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Janne Jalkanen wrote:
>> BTW are we re-packaging everything (org.apache.jspwiki) for 2.7? We
>> probably should...
>
> That has the unfortunate side effect of breaking *every single plugin*
> ever developed.  Which means that we should call it "3.0" to keep with
> the versioning scheme.
>
> Which would mean that with the next major release (what we've been so
> far calling 3.0) we would break everything *again*.
>
> So my preference would be to keep the current package structure and
> break everything in one go, so as not to cause too much annoyance to
> developers.  This seems to be fine, as long as we release through
> jspwiki.org and not through apache.org.

What about having a transition scheme of releasing both a package of
core plugins using the apache.org package, and the same set of plugins
(i.e., same exact code) using the jspwiki.org package? This would be
marked as transitional but permit a migration strategy. Just a thought
anyway... we could then state that the jspwiki.org "transitional" set
of plugins would go away with 3.0, but would be available during that
transition.

Murray

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@mac.com>.
+1

FYI, I just checked in some Javadoc fixes, so that the docs build
cleanly now.

The only caveat about 2.6.2 is that web unit tests still don't work...
I've been working on them but it's a on-and-off thing for me.

Still, it shouldn't hold up work on the next version. Let's cut 2.6.2
loose and get to work on for 2.7.

Re: 2.6.2 final items in

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
...aaand they're in.