Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/22 16:14:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Let's get everyone's thoughts on the table

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal - not so simple?

Posted by Disruptive Solutions <di...@gmail.com>.
+1 keep it simple

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I think the process should be as simple as possible, and improved later. Just
> select the absolute bare minimum that could start to work and discard everything
> else so this project can work again.

Depends on what you mean by simple.  Using some less-than-simple tools
can make the workflow very simple.  I believe that we need to establish
a set of very high-level workflow requirements.  Then we have the top
level roadmap that could guide  a simple initial implementation and
could be improved later with the same objective in mind.

That does not preclude any change in direction, requirements can change
too.  But the roadmap would be controlled by consensus approval (not the
implementation!  only the roadmap).   Such a roadmap would unify our
mindset and unify our sense of purpose. There is anarchy, rogue
behaviors, and distrust now that could be fixed by a simple
roadmap/high-level requirements that makes sense to everyone.

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal - not so simple?

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.. It is painful and awkward and I am not so optimistic at the
moment.  We will have to give it more time and see if people and learn
to cooperate in groups or not.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nuttx/ISmgZAftm4o

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal - not so simple?

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Brennan created a page in the Confluence for the workflow document. I
> know that only committers can edit the Confluence wiki directly but
> that is not a problem: Anyone can write some text and email it to this
> list, and a committer can edit it into the Confluence page. (Hint:
> People who participate often become good candidates to become
> committers too!)
>
> The Workflow Work-In-Progress Confluence Page is here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTXTEST/Code+Contribution+Workflow+--+Brennan+Ashton

There is a thread on
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nuttx-dev/ called [CALL for
TOP Down workflow Requirements].  Currently it contains all workflow
thoughts. Please feel free to comment there mostly forwarded from other
discussion threads.  There is not a lot there :'(, but that is what we
have to work with.  We should probably keep discussion as terse as
possiblethere.  These threads with 100's of responses are, as you note,
pretty difficult to follow.  If we keep things terse then there is less
chance that you input will be lost in the clutter.

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal - not so simple?

Posted by Disruptive Solutions <di...@gmail.com>.
Ow and:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/intro-user.html

And not about tools... but they have implemented workflow...

Posted by Disruptive Solutions <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 11:06 AM Sebastien Lorquet <se...@lorquet.fr> wrote:

> OK.
>
> That is too much email for me, I just cant follow and understand all these
> discussions anymore. Almost 300 messages among multiple overlapping threads full
> of heated opinions in 2-3 days is insane.
>
> I just cant dedicate enough time reading any more of this. I have other things
> to do than trying to understand these multiple rebooted workflows proposals that
> span days (and nights!) of discussions.

It helps if you have a mail client that can display messages in
threaded mode. If not, you could (for example) create a gmail account.
Gmail automatically groups related emails. This has the advantage of
separating the volume of NuttX emails from your regular email box.

Regarding the workflow:

The road is bumpy but everything will be okay. This is a learning
experience for everyone. We are in the deep end of the swimming pool
with no training wheels. It is a big change and there is some shock,
chaos, and arguments. But everything will be okay. We have version
control. If a bad commit is made it can be fixed.

Brennan created a page in the Confluence for the workflow document. I
know that only committers can edit the Confluence wiki directly but
that is not a problem: Anyone can write some text and email it to this
list, and a committer can edit it into the Confluence page. (Hint:
People who participate often become good candidates to become
committers too!)

The Workflow Work-In-Progress Confluence Page is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTXTEST/Code+Contribution+Workflow+--+Brennan+Ashton

On purpose I am not writing the whole thing by myself because I do not
want to be pushy. This is a community effort. I already wrote much and
it is in the Confluence page above. My plan is to wait a week or two,
let people work, and let discussions happen.

Let's relax. Let cooler minds prevail. Trust that the Apache Way
works. And everything will be okay.

Nathan

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal - not so simple?

Posted by Sebastien Lorquet <se...@lorquet.fr>.
OK.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> There are several things I don't like about this proposal:
>
>     - It is in complete conflict with everything we have discussed
>     about the commit workflow
>
>     - I think is is suggest out of panic.  We have plenty of times to
>     do things right or to do things better.  There will be no pressing
>     need until the work week begins after the New Year
>
>     - It is an emergency measure and absolutely must not become the
>     default workflow.  If we put this in place, how do we get rid of
>     it?  Perhaps it should expire automatically after two weeks?
>
> I will have to vote -1 on this proposal with out some assurance that
> it is not a disease that we cannot recover from /EASILY/ without
> another vote.  I would vote 0 if there there is such an assurance.

Regardless of the vote, I will not personally merge anything into the
repositories in any event until there is an accepted workflow
requirements document in place.

Greg

RE: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
Well Said!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I was thinking about calling a vote on limiting the # of emails.

IMO A vote will not help, it will make things worse, perhaps try discuss but most of all just try to be a little more considerate for people who are subscribers to this list. No hard rules just guidelines and consideration of your users. Not everything needs a vote. That being said, let'd be clear that's just my opinion and carries no more weight than any other person here. (I’m not wearing my mentor, IPMC or VP Incubator hat unless I explicitly state otherwise and that is very rare).

There’s a Spark talk that might help here (by Holden Karau) on the firehose that is their mailing list and PRs they get, I see if I can find the talk. Just be aware, that for a number of reasons, what Spark does may not be the best model to follow for an incubating project but it may give some insight all the same.

Thanks,
Justin

Signal to Noise (was RE: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal)

Posted by David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com>.
Hi,

Ok we both have no honor nor impulse control :)

I was thinking about calling a vote on limiting the # of emails. We have a
very gifted team. With that comes some strong instinctual desires for
exactness.

This really resonated with me when I first heard it.

Don't Let the Perfect Be the Enemy of the Good [1]

	Voltaire: “The best is the enemy of the good.”
	Confucius: "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."
	Shakespeare: “Striving to better, oft we mar what's well.”

[1] https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249676

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.
On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 8:18 PM Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yesterday I wrote a detailed email giving the exact outline of what needs
> to be in that workflow document.
>
> Do we really have no volunteers to bang out even a rough draft of that
> document?

You both sucked me in again...  But this time I had a few hours to write
some code and clear my head a little more.

I hope it is fine, but I opened up a section on the wiki for Proposals.
There is now a draft section that I think would be a great place for people
to write something.

I have started by creating a template for mine, and I will do it in the
format from Nathan's email.  There is no real content, but maybe it can be
inspiration for someone else to also click that Create button.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NUTTXTEST/Code+Contribution+Workflow+--+Brennan+Ashton

--Brennan

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> The danger of what is happening now is that it will become grandfathered in
> with no proper workflow in place, no proper criteria for processing
> changes, and no clear documentation that helps committers or the public to
> contribute.

If that comes to pass, I think I would be forced to resign. Apache NuttX
will be a failure.

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> The danger of what is happening now is that it will become grandfathered in
> with no proper workflow in place, no proper criteria for processing
> changes, and no clear documentation that helps committers or the public to
> contribute.

We have to decline any attempt to include an test framework code until
requirements are in place.  People must understand that any they are
working on now will not be permitted to enter the repositories until we
can verify it against an agreed to set of requirements.

I don't know what the extent of the risk is.  There is one pending
change with regard to workflow logic.  I think that this particular
change is reasonable and not a hostile takeover.  But it leaves you to
wonder what else could come????  I definitely have a lack of trust.

> What do we have to do? A PMC vote to put a halt and finish the workflow?

I don't think we have the authority force anyone to stop work. But we
can prohibit anything from entering the repositories prior to the
requirements definition and without approval.

I could finish the the document in a day by simply combining the
existing materials, resolving conflicts, and filling some missing
logic.  But I need to have the confidence of the PPMC.  I am not the
kind of person who would push ahead without concurrence.

I am persistent (if no one has noticed), but I do not take liberties.

Greg

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 9:02 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > But the #1 most critical thing facing this project is adopting even
> > just the requirements for the workflow.  None of the other issues have
> > any significant importance
> >
> > So I have to be opposed to any obstacles that jeopardize or distract
> > from the #1 priority thing.
>
> One of the dangers of delaying the workflow requirements is that there
> are people actually developing workflow components now ... WITHOUT any
> requirements!!! Pull unadulterated rogue behavior. There is a great risk
> of just have some workflow foisted upon us with no ability by the PPMC
> to guide or monitor.
>
> We will be giving away our right to define the workflow it we do not
> make progress on the workflow requirements.  Yet another rogue workflow
> will be forced on us.
>
> I think we must decline any attempts to do commit unapproved workflow
> components.  We must not allow any workflow to be put into place without
> the concurrence of the PPMC.  We give our concurrence only by agreeing
> to a set of workflow requirements then enforcing those requirements.

I agree.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Two questions:
>
> 1 Who will apply the patches?
> 2 Can we use and merge a PR that has been reviewed?
You are basically asking for the workflow requirements.

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Let's not start new questions for now? Be patient and let's see what other
people think. One of the most important rule in ASF is 'community over
code', so although I also think accepting patches is the most emergency
thing here, but let's see other people's opinion first.

Thanks.

David Sidrane <Da...@nscdg.com> 于2019年12月23日周一 下午8:58写道:

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I will be stepping away from all further discussion on the work flow topic as I have soured on it and don't have a real vote beyond proposing it.

You are lucky that you have that option.  I would too if it were
possible.  This no way that anyone should have to waste there life.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
I don't like it because it is not the workflow that has been discussed
and I can never support a slam dunk of any workflow that is not
described in the workflow requirements document.

I will vote -1 if we cannot be assured that this this cannot become a
disease that we cannot shake.  My proposal:

  * It must have time limit of, say, two weeks and require a new vote to
    extend it for another two weeks.
  * If must immediately become null and void when the proper workflow
    requirements are place.

I will merge nothing under this agreement.  I will merge nothing until
we have workflow requirements.

This is a kludge intended only for expediency.  I cannot support that.

Greg

Posted by Brennan Ashton <ba...@brennanashton.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I don't think that were will be much that has to be acted on during
> the holidays. And, in any event, I would rather see a backlog of work
> build up than to to see an interim, wrong workflow put in place. Doing
> things right is more important that doing things quickly.

I would add that I do not think that we need to wait for the full
workflow to be automated.  I think we only need to wait until the
workflow requirements are defined.  When the requirements are in place,
then the workflow can be implemented manually until the automation is in
place.

Greg

Re: [DISCUSS] Simple Workflow Proposal

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
>> 1) The timeline. Two weeks over the holiday to come to a formal
>> agreement
>> is going to be tough and I also don't think just because we have a path
>> forward people will stop caring about proposing a better solution.  From
>> what I'm seeing the longer term proposal will likely get into the
>> weeds of
>> tooling around CI email patches etc... These take weeks to settle on. I
>> trust the intentions of the people in the project and do not see a
>> need to
>> bind them to a timeline to build this out.
I don't think that were will be much that has to be acted on during the
holidays. And, in any event, I would rather see a backlog of work build
up than to to see an interim, wrong workflow put in place.  Doing things
right is more important that doing things quickly.

>> 2) Why cut corners.  Personally I don't see this as cutting corners I
>> think
>> this will in practice get us 90% of the way there and get us back into a
>> cadence of improving the software.  I trust the project members will use
>> judgement within the structure and will actively move the project
>> along to
>> better structure.

There has been no evidence the project members will use good judgement.
I have not seen that so far.  Mistakes will be made. Why not wait and
get 100%