Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <We...@asu.edu> on 2002/11/18 22:30:32 UTC

Keeping up to date with nightly builds

Does anyone have a procedure for updating an existing project to use all the
stuff from a nightly build?

So far, I delete my 'jakarta-struts' directory and unzip both of the nightly
build files (source & binary) again.  Then I copy all the .jar files, all
the .tld files and the validator-rules.xml file over from the unzipped
jakarta-struts/lib into the appropriate places in my own project.

I'm a bit confused about the .dtd files included with the nightly build from
the 18th.  They don't seem to be used anywhere.  For example, there is a
validator-rules_1_1.dtd, but the included validator-rules.xml file uses
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dtds/validator_1_0.dtd.

Do I need these .dtd files from the nightly build?  Have I missed anything?
(It compiles, but I've already caused myself problems by using some files
from one build and some from another!)

Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.

Re: Keeping up to date with nightly builds

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Does anyone have a procedure for updating an existing project to use all the
> stuff from a nightly build?
>
> So far, I delete my 'jakarta-struts' directory and unzip both of the nightly
> build files (source & binary) again.  Then I copy all the .jar files, all
> the .tld files and the validator-rules.xml file over from the unzipped
> jakarta-struts/lib into the appropriate places in my own project.
>
> I'm a bit confused about the .dtd files included with the nightly build from
> the 18th.  They don't seem to be used anywhere.  For example, there is a
> validator-rules_1_1.dtd, but the included validator-rules.xml file uses
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dtds/validator_1_0.dtd.

If you check the latest version of validator-rules_1_1.dtd, you'll find
DEPRECATED comments all over it. The Validator is now part of Jakarta
Commons, and so the latest code references the Commons Validator DTD. The
DTD in the Struts tree is maintained for backwards compatibility only.

--
Martin Cooper