Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by PHP-Backoffice <in...@php-backoffice.de> on 2022/09/13 14:51:49 UTC

NB 15 no linux installer anymore?

Hi,

is it right that there is no installer for linux platform anymore?

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß
aus dem PHP-Backoffice in Franken

Ortwin Pinke

Re: NB 15 no linux installer anymore?

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
I do not see how your message has anything to do with what either I or Mr.
Kishalmi wrote in our messages that are quoted below.

I posted no links at all.  Mr. Kishalmi posted a link around using snap to
manage your local NetBeans installation.

WE are discussing linux installers.  YOU are asking about something else.  You
should post your own message to the mailing list with an applicable subject
line versus hijacking this conversation.

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Posted by Amn Ojee Uw <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 15 Sept 2022 at 17:34, Bradley Willcott <op...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a 'Netbeans' directory in my user home directory. In it, I unpack
> each new version into a version named directory,
> (v12.6, v13, v14, 15, etc) and use a softlink named 'current' to point
> to which ever version I wish to use. This is usually the latest.
> My desktop has a '.desktop' file for Netbeans that points to the
> 'current' version, and so requires no maintenance.

I used a very similar setup myself for a long time.  However,
configuring the .desktop file is a bit of a pain for new users,
particularly having a decent icon, no duplicates in dock, etc.  In
fact, problems with the .desktop file is one of numerous issues in the
old .sh installer.

> I have avoided using any of the Flatpak/Snap options as they are too
> restrictive by nature. I prefer either the system installed
> apps (via dnf) or to manually install them this way.

But, would you install an rpm with dnf if it was provided?

Incidentally, there is also an AppImage available, which doesn't have
the restrictions of Flatpak and Snap, although desktop integration is
a little hit and miss with them I find.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Re: NB 15 no linux installer anymore?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 12:58, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any kind of issue for what’s wrong with the Linux installer?

Nothing that collates them all as far as I know.  There are a bunch of
things that have been brought up in other issues / vote threads
related.  Incorrect JDK detection is the major one, along with desktop
file problems and UI issues off the top of my head, but possibly more.

It would need someone to take ownership of the issues and fix them all
at least, as well as take responsibility for signing releases of it.
That probably needs to be someone (not me!) who doesn't think NBI is
entirely flawed.  Personally, I'm all for moving to native packaging
across all OS, which is why I'm putting my effort there instead, and
that's open for people to help too.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Is there any kind of issue for what’s wrong with the Linux installer?

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 05:10, Mark A. Flacy <mf...@verizon.net.invalid> wrote:
> Snap requires systemd to work.  Many, but not all, linux distributions use
> systemd.
>
> If your distro doesn't use systemd, don't expect snap to work for you.

There is also a Flatpak option (which I don't think requires systemd),
although I don't know who is providing it -
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.apache.netbeans  Lots of options
around!

Personally, while I like that we have a Snap, I don't agree with it
being the best Linux experience, which is why we're (ie. Codelerity /
Gj IT) providing a DEB.  The all-arch DEB that relies on system JDK
could in theory be released as an ASF artefact.  I'm planning to look
at whether we can do a release of NBPackage before NB16 to facilitate
that, as well as looking at other package formats in time.  Any
thoughts on priorities there?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: NB 15 no linux installer anymore?

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pieter van den Hombergh <pi...@gmail.com>.
actually using the zip is both easier and quicker. simply unzip the file in
the usual folder, e.g. /opt or the old installers default /usr/local/.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.