Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Guy Katz <gk...@allot.com> on 2005/04/29 15:02:29 UTC

is it worth upgrading to tomcat 5.5.9 over jdk1.4?

hi all;

my question is if its a good idea to upgrade to 5.5.x but over jdk 1.4.

would i still get more stability, performance, etc...?

what will i loose?

thanks in advance ofr you help.

RE: is it worth upgrading to tomcat 5.5.9 over jdk1.4?

Posted by "J. Ryan Earl" <ry...@dynaconnections.com>.
I don't think you lose anything, assuming your application works fine.  You
gain:

* A 64-bit Sun JVM for x86-64.
* SNMP monitoring of the JVM.
* The ability to attach a profiling to a running JVM and see what all the
threads are doing--useful for catching production problems as they occur.

I didn't notice any negative side affects migrating our application over
from the Sun JRE 1.4.2 => 1.5.0, it "just worked."

J. Ryan Earl
Systems/Network Engineer
dynaConnections Corporation
512.306.9898