Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/10/15 07:13:10 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Update of "Help" by Arun C Murthy

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by Arun C Murthy:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Help

The comment on the change is:
Adding a new wiki on how to get 'help'

New page:
Hadoop is an open source volunteer project under the Apache Software Foundation. We do not pretend it's perfect (yet!) and do recognise that there might be warts here and there.

In case you run into them here are some options:

 * '''Frequently Asked Questions''' [[BR]]
 Please browse through the [http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ FAQ] to check if someone else has already run into a similar issue.

 * '''Jira''' [[BR]]
 Please browse through our [http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP bug-tracker] to see if someone else has already reported a similar problem. If so, please consider filing a patch (if you can) or just '''vote''' for that issue to be fixed.

 * '''IRC Channel''' [[BR]]
 There is an [http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/irc.html IRC Channel] dedicated to hadoop at '''irc.freenode.org'''. The name of the channel is #hadoop. Typically some users/developers hang around here, so this might be a good avenue for a quick chat, but please understand that they might be busy and may not be able to help you right-away!

 * '''User Mailing List''' [[BR]]
 [mailto:hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org] is the ''primary'' Hadoop User mailing list, and is the main avenue for users to interact with each other and Hadoop developers. This is typically where users run-to for help, suggestions etc. If you are hadoop-user, you (maybe) are already there. More information about hadoop mailing lists [http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/mailing_lists.html here].

 Please direct most of your concerns and questions to this mailing list.

[[Anchor(AskingQuestions)]]
=== Asking Questions ===
Here are a few tips on how to go about it:

   * First, and foremost, please mention the [http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/releases.html hadoop version] you are using.
   * Explicitly provide the following information:
    * Any exceptions/errors encountered by your application.
    * Any exceptions/errors found while browsing through the hadoop-daemons' logs.
      * The hadoop daemons are: namenode & datanode (hdfs) and jobtracker & tasktracker (map-reduce).
      * The daemons' logs are found in the HADOOP_LOG_DIR directory.
   * More generic tips on  asking questions [http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html here].

[[Anchor(GotAnAnswer)]]
=== I got a response! ===
Once you have a response from someone, here is how you can help:
   * ''I found a new bug'': Create a new [http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa bug], and consider fixing it yourself. We definitely hope you can learn about the project and contribute your expertise.
   * ''Problem Solved'': If you think others can benefit from your learnings please create a new [http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa documentation request] and/or help us out by adding a section to our [http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ FAQ]. Thanks!