Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Waycott <ja...@cox.net> on 2006/08/03 13:25:56 UTC

Re: Storing externals for future generations?

Gabriel Cooper wrote:
> John Waycott wrote:
>
>> As a CM manger, I have to ensure that developers always build with
>> the correct software and tools. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of
>> using an out-of-date (the local copy) externalLib if the current copy
>> is unavailable.
>
> Well... At that point you're either not using any library (*ka-blam!*
> you can't build) or you're using the last-known-good. Which resource
> you use is up to your particular project. As said in the Vendor Branch
> example page at one point they wanted to keep up to the bleeding edge
> of an Apache library, and eventually they cut back to releases only.

I need to clarify my statement: I'm uncomfortable using an out-of-date
version when I'm supposed to use the current version. This is a case
where I know I have to get the latest version to continue my work, but
it is not available. However, I usually want to be able to control when
I get it; I don't want to pick up the latest version of a library if I'm
not ready to use it. If it breaks my build unexpectedly, I have to go
back and figure out what happened.

-- John