Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 吴治国 <wz...@163.com> on 2022/04/11 08:36:22 UTC

Need some help to bring ambari into incubator again

Hello community,

Our company is considering to restart the ambari project and help it leave the attic.

But I don’t know how to do it, I heard I need 3 incubator PMC to approve this, But I really don’t know who is interesting about this, and what’s next step.

So I came here asking for help, if someone is interesting about this, please contact me.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Zhiguo Wu.

Re: Need some help to bring ambari into incubator again

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
(Update)
I didn't notice this last week, here are some updates from me.

I had talked with this time several times in the past several weeks,
gave suggestions similar to John's,
1. Recommend them to open source their fork on their own(declaring it
is ambari's fork). Maintaining a fork doesn't require ASF's official
approval, they just need to notify the foundation, and be clear about
the original source codes belonging to ASF. And should not use ambari
and Apache ambari as their own brands/logos when they try to do (2).
2. Try to build a community, and see whether more people are willing
to join. After all, ambari went into attic because there are not
enough PMC members working on it.
3. Once, even a small community, is built, potential mentors and
people from Hadoop community may feel interested to involve again.
4. The team proposing this, doesn't have any experience in working in
ASF or ASF's TLP/Incubating projects. I have suggested they do this
step by step slowly. Reactivating an attic'ed community needs time,
and may or may not work in reality.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> 于2022年4月17日周日 09:42写道:

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Since you need a community to work on it, I'd suggest that you ask in the Hadoop project to see if there are interested parties.

	--- Noel