Posted to users@maven.apache.org by james2809 <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/06 21:40:37 UTC

Conditional Build

Hi.

I'd like know, if using profiles, I can build a web project using different
web.xml files, in other words, one of the profile will use the web.xml 1,
and the other profile will use the web.xml 2.

Best Regards!

Thiago Siqueira

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I'd like know, if using profiles, I can build a web project using different
> web.xml files, in other words, one of the profile will use the web.xml 1,
> and the other profile will use the web.xml 2.

What is different about the web.xml files? Are they completely
different, or just different in a few key areas?

Wayne

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.
I don't know. I don't think that something like dependency management
should be moved out of pom. It may reduce visibility /readability
/maintainability, and there can be problems with tools like m2e.

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I am not sure that I understand how dependency management would move out
of the POM.

I never use profiles and see too many people getting into all kinds of
difficulties using them for the wrong things.

We do use dependency management a lot.

If you have 2 artifacts that depend on different libraries then I would
treat them as 2 different artifacts with different names
<artifactId>mylinuxlibrary</artifactId> and
<artifactId>mywindowslibrary></artifactId>
They both might depend on the same dependencies but they are different
software artifacts.

My final assemblies of distribution packages would call up the right one
of <artifactId>mylinuxlibrary</artifactId> or
<artifactId>mywindowslibrary></artifactId>.

I would use different projects for each client that assembled the
appropriate files for the specific customer unless I could build
installers that the customer could use to install the right set of files
based on information that they provide during the installation.

Ron

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I am sure that you will get some thoughts from some people who are
building artifacts with similar constraints.

 From what I know, I like your second approach to the customer issue.

Re: Conditional Build

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ron