Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Jeff Yu <je...@apache.org> on 2010/06/18 06:00:45 UTC

Ode Roadmap

Hi team,

Since we've released the 1.3.4, I am thinking about our roadmap for the next
release.

Firstly, I'd think that it is better that we have a release plan like 1
release in 2 months at least, could be just a bug fix release, or a feature
enhancement, as long as we have something to deliver,
don't want us to be in the position that have 1 release in 6 months. ;),
what do you think of this? we should create a wiki page to state whats the
tentative release date for our next release, and whats the feature or it is
just a bug fix release over there.

Secondly, as we discussed on the other thread with regard to the jpa
refactoring table renaming, we thought it is better that we did this on 1.4
release, as for 1.3.x series, we shouldn't expect to have big impact on the
database schema change,
in this case, would be for the OpenJPA users.

So here is the question, what is our next release? 1.3.5 or 1.4?

Let me know what do you think of this.

--
Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
We can edit this with our plans:
http://ode.apache.org/roadmap.html

We can sort by priority, but not plan for particular release.

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
And one thing. I don't like planning for particular features to
include in some release. I prefer to grab what we have in regular
period of time and make release from it (and move outstanding issues
into next release). This is how it works.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm fine with that, too. We should also define a long-term road map.
>>
>> Regarding the versions, especially when we release more often (which I
>> would really appreciate), we should better communicate the philosophy
>> behind versioning. 1.3.x should never require migration efforts and
>> should be considered drop-in replacements for 1.3.(x-1), as long as bug
>> fixes allow this. Once migration is necessary, we should increase the
>> minor version. So the JPA changeset should go into 1.4 then.
>
> Right, we should obey those 3 digits versioning rules
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning).
> We'll start this from 1.4.
>

>> The question would be if we need a 1.3.5 or if we can go directly for a 1.4.
>
> We can now stay with 1.3.5. If JPA refatoring will be committed before
> 15-th July, then we'll mark it 1.4.
> Otherwise we'll stay with 1.3.5.
>

>> Tammo
>>
>> On 18.06.2010 10:54, Rafal Rusin wrote:
>>> I would prefer to release 1.3.5 and then 1.4.0.
>>> I'm fine with 1.3.5 as soon as there are running maven axis2-war tests
>>> in hudson.
>>>
>>> And I agree - we should release regularly. Something like every 2
>>> months with 1 month forking period (beta release).
>>> So we can plan 1.3.5 fork on 15-th July and release on 15-th August
>>> (along with 1.4 fork).

>> --
>> Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Rafał Rusin
> http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.
this sounds good to me.

Regards
Jeff

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fine with that, too. We should also define a long-term road map.
>
> Regarding the versions, especially when we release more often (which I
> would really appreciate), we should better communicate the philosophy
> behind versioning. 1.3.x should never require migration efforts and
> should be considered drop-in replacements for 1.3.(x-1), as long as bug
> fixes allow this. Once migration is necessary, we should increase the
> minor version. So the JPA changeset should go into 1.4 then.

Right, we should obey those 3 digits versioning rules
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning).
We'll start this from 1.4.

> The question would be if we need a 1.3.5 or if we can go directly for a 1.4.

We can now stay with 1.3.5. If JPA refatoring will be committed before
15-th July, then we'll mark it 1.4.
Otherwise we'll stay with 1.3.5.

> Tammo
>
> On 18.06.2010 10:54, Rafal Rusin wrote:
>> I would prefer to release 1.3.5 and then 1.4.0.
>> I'm fine with 1.3.5 as soon as there are running maven axis2-war tests
>> in hudson.
>>
>> And I agree - we should release regularly. Something like every 2
>> months with 1 month forking period (beta release).
>> So we can plan 1.3.5 fork on 15-th July and release on 15-th August
>> (along with 1.4 fork).
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Jeff Yu <je...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> Since we've released the 1.3.4, I am thinking about our roadmap for the next
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Firstly, I'd think that it is better that we have a release plan like 1
>>> release in 2 months at least, could be just a bug fix release, or a feature
>>> enhancement, as long as we have something to deliver,
>>> don't want us to be in the position that have 1 release in 6 months. ;),
>>> what do you think of this? we should create a wiki page to state whats the
>>> tentative release date for our next release, and whats the feature or it is
>>> just a bug fix release over there.
>>>
>>> Secondly, as we discussed on the other thread with regard to the jpa
>>> refactoring table renaming, we thought it is better that we did this on 1.4
>>> release, as for 1.3.x series, we shouldn't expect to have big impact on the
>>> database schema change,
>>> in this case, would be for the OpenJPA users.
>>>
>>> So here is the question, what is our next release? 1.3.5 or 1.4?
>>>
>>> Let me know what do you think of this.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeff Yu
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 3:56 AM, David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just some thoughts on this thread.
>
> 1. Any 1.4 or 1.3.x release should always be API compatible.  So we should
> never break public API here.
>
> 2.  I would prefer that any schema changes and any serialization of classes
> also remain binary compatible.   Again, avoids migration and upgrade issues.
>
> 3.  I'm all for maintenance releases being every couple of months, but I
> also think it is good to plan for a 1.4 release in either 6 months or a
> year.  Maintenance releases should occur at least 3 or 4 times a year, minor
> version releases a little bit longer out.

A bit different view on here, for 6 months or one year time frame release, I
would think it should be like from 1.x to 2.x. ;-)

> 4.  If we plan to do this, it would be nice to have some Milestone releases
> periodically before getting to the Release canidates or maintenance
> releases.  Allows for testing purposes.
>
> 5.  Ideally I'd like to see one Build system choosen as the Master build.
>  I know we have adopters that use buildr and some that use maven, but
> maintaining two build systems isn't productive long term.

+100 here. ;), with two build system here, it is harder to make a commit,
esp in big feature, as that requires you make sure both build tools work
fine... For average developer, I tend to vote to use maven only, but here we
have to wait for maven build is working fine, like fix all of issues that we
had right now.

> 6.  During the maintenance of code and any 1.4 release, ideally I'd like to
> see one unit test framework settled upon.  Since the majority is junit, I
> think it would be a good idea as we fix other bugs and features to slowly
> migrate all the tests to junit 4 style.  Makes it easier to get started and
> test regardless of ide or if you are running tests via the build scripts.

+1.

Regards
Jeff

--
Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by David Carver <d_...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking about 2 months release with 2 weeks forking (code freeze with
> that branch). ;-)

OK, it's fine.

> Regards
> jeff
>
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to release 1.3.5 and then 1.4.0.
>> I'm fine with 1.3.5 as soon as there are running maven axis2-war tests
>> in hudson.
>>
>> And I agree - we should release regularly. Something like every 2
>> months with 1 month forking period (beta release).
>> So we can plan 1.3.5 fork on 15-th July and release on 15-th August
>> (along with 1.4 fork).
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Jeff Yu <je...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi team,
>> >
>> > Since we've released the 1.3.4, I am thinking about our roadmap for the
>> next
>> > release.
>> >
>> > Firstly, I'd think that it is better that we have a release plan like 1
>> > release in 2 months at least, could be just a bug fix release, or a
>> feature
>> > enhancement, as long as we have something to deliver,
>> > don't want us to be in the position that have 1 release in 6 months. ;),
>> > what do you think of this? we should create a wiki page to state whats
>> the
>> > tentative release date for our next release, and whats the feature or it
>> is
>> > just a bug fix release over there.
>> >
>> > Secondly, as we discussed on the other thread with regard to the jpa
>> > refactoring table renaming, we thought it is better that we did this on
>> 1.4
>> > release, as for 1.3.x series, we shouldn't expect to have big impact on
>> the
>> > database schema change,
>> > in this case, would be for the OpenJPA users.
>> >
>> > So here is the question, what is our next release? 1.3.5 or 1.4?
>> >
>> > Let me know what do you think of this.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cheers,
>> > Jeff Yu
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net
>> >

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Rafał Rusin
>> http://rrusin.blogspot.com
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Jeff Yu
>
> ----------------
> blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Rafał Rusin
http://rrusin.blogspot.com

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Jeff Yu <je...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Jeff Yu

----------------
blog: http://jeff.familyyu.net

Re: Ode Roadmap

Posted by Rafal Rusin <ra...@intalio.com>.
I would prefer to release 1.3.5 and then 1.4.0.
I'm fine with 1.3.5 as soon as there are running maven axis2-war tests
in hudson.

And I agree - we should release regularly. Something like every 2
months with 1 month forking period (beta release).
So we can plan 1.3.5 fork on 15-th July and release on 15-th August
(along with 1.4 fork).

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Jeff Yu <je...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> Since we've released the 1.3.4, I am thinking about our roadmap for the next
> release.
>
> Firstly, I'd think that it is better that we have a release plan like 1
> release in 2 months at least, could be just a bug fix release, or a feature
> enhancement, as long as we have something to deliver,
> don't want us to be in the position that have 1 release in 6 months. ;),
> what do you think of this? we should create a wiki page to state whats the
> tentative release date for our next release, and whats the feature or it is
> just a bug fix release over there.
>
> Secondly, as we discussed on the other thread with regard to the jpa
> refactoring table renaming, we thought it is better that we did this on 1.4
> release, as for 1.3.x series, we shouldn't expect to have big impact on the
> database schema change,
> in this case, would be for the OpenJPA users.
>
> So here is the question, what is our next release? 1.3.5 or 1.4?
>
> Let me know what do you think of this.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Jeff Yu