Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2015/06/01 16:50:11 UTC

Re: A couple pull requests in the pending tray.

On 31/05/15 21:54, Claude Warren wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I did a review and the changes make sense (the structure is a holdover from
> a very early incarnation).  I would do the merge but I don't know.

".. how to do that?"

> a) what id to use on github to do the merge? or do I do the merge elsewhere?
> b) I am not certain what actions I would take to do the merge.

You are doing with to bring things into the Apache Jena repo with your
Apache id.  Not as a guthub person nor with their tools.

There are several ways depending.

1/ If you want to include all the commits, and maybe tweak things after,
then

git pull https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/NN/head

(caution see (3) I don't do that - I use a short form).
<any tweaks, commit>

# Schedule a close.
git commit -m "This closes #NN." --allow-empty
# Push to Apache.
git push

The "This closes..." can be in any commit message; I've shown how to do
it if you just pull, make no changes, and want to have the close happen.

Advantage of this route : the commits have the contributors name.

2/ If I'm picking and choosing, i.e. more than a few tweaks, I've found
it easier to grab some changes and work locally.

Get the diff by downloading as a file:

     https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/NN.diff

(I have found that diff is better than patch when the PR has been
modified a few times ".patch" don't see to always apply the revisions,
".diff" is OK)

Apply it
   git apply NN.diff

Work locally, commit changes. Make sure one has "This closes #NN"

3/ I have this in <Jena>/.git/config

[remote "github"]
	url = git@github.com:apache/jena.git
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*

so it's

git pull github pull/NN/head

	Andy