Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/08 04:39:20 UTC

character encoding in the Dispatcher in Internet Explorer

As mentioned I'm developing a site with Dispatcher.
I don't use Internet Explorer, but unfortunately most of my clients
do. Checking my site in IE revealed a problem: Although Firefox
correctly sets the character encoding to UTF8, as set in the XML
declaration at the head of the doc, IE doesn't seem to register, and
defaults to Western, or whatever. The result is a lot of Euro symbols
in the text.

After a bit of messing around it appears that adding an xhtml
namespace declaration to the html element
(xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml") fixes the problem.

Re: character encoding in the Dispatcher in Internet Explorer

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
I was wondering if this would be the best way to fix this. The
alternative would be to turn off the XML declaration and add an html
type character encoding metadata statement.
If you think adding the namespace is the best way to go I'm happy to
do a patch, but it'd save me time if you could tell me where the this
part of the output document is being generated.

paul

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.