Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/22 17:52:34 UTC

Understanding delta import

hi there
I am having some trouble understanding delta import and how its different
from full import .. from what I can tell the only difference is that it has
the clean parameter set to false by default .. otherwise as far as setting
up your query to use the data_import_last_index_time .. you can do that even
in full import ..

so i tried setting up my import process and my query is setup something like
this

SELECT  some fields (all mapped correctly to solr fields)
FROM some tables
WHERE dateModified > data_import_last_index_time

if i use this query and run the delta import .. it doesnt finds anything ..
doesnt updates anything .. if I run full-import with clean=false .. it finds
the modified documents and updates them correctly ..  right after that if I
run the delta import again .. it finds the same documents AGAIN (the ones
which full-import found) and imports them .. but after that if I keep
changing data and keep hitting delta import url .. nothing happens until I
do the same full-import again .. any idea whats going on here

so based on this it seems like full-import is doing what I want to do ..
simple grab some recently modified data and update or add in solr index ..
should I just use the full-import then ?? any advice would be very helpful

thanks

Re: Understanding delta import

Posted by adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com>.
any ideas ???

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM, adeelmahmood <ad...@gmail.com>wrote:

> hi there
> I am having some trouble understanding delta import and how its different
> from full import .. from what I can tell the only difference is that it has
> the clean parameter set to false by default .. otherwise as far as setting
> up your query to use the data_import_last_index_time .. you can do that
> even
> in full import ..

Yes, you can do a delta import through a full-import. This is documented at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandlerFaq#My_delta-import_goes_out_of_memory_._Any_workaround_.3F

> so i tried setting up my import process and my query is setup something
> like
> this
>
> SELECT  some fields (all mapped correctly to solr fields)
> FROM some tables
> WHERE dateModified > data_import_last_index_time

Which attribute is this? "query", "deltaQuery", "deltaImportQuery" or
something else?

> if i use this query and run the delta import .. it doesnt finds anything ..
> doesnt updates anything .. if I run full-import with clean=false .. it
> finds
> the modified documents and updates them correctly ..  right after that if I
> run the delta import again .. it finds the same documents AGAIN (the ones
> which full-import found) and imports them .. but after that if I keep
> changing data and keep hitting delta import url .. nothing happens until I
> do the same full-import again .. any idea whats going on here

I can't say anything unless I see the relevant portions of your
data-config.xml

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.