Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/05/17 14:30:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache NiFi 0.7.0 and 1.0.0

Team,

Want to start zeroing in on the details of the next releases.  We had
a good set of discussions around this back in January and have since
been executing along this general path [1].

On the 0.x line the next release would be 0.7.0.  There does appear to
be a lot of useful improvements/features/fixes there now and it is
time to do a release according to our general 6-8 week approach.
However, given all the effort going into 1.x I'd like to get a sense
of what the community preference is.

On the 1.0 line the release is coming into focus.  Some things have
moved into 1.x and some things look like they'd slide to the right of
1.x as is to be expected.  For example distributed durability (HA
Data) looks like a good thing to do post 1.0 given the substantive
changes present from the new HA clustering approach and multi-tenant
authorization.  I'd also like to dive in and liberally apply Apache
Yetus annotations [2] to all the things so we can be really explicit
about what parts we can more freely evolve going forward.  We've been
a bit awkwardly hamstrung thus far without these so they should help
greatly to better convey intent.

For those really interested in things coming in the 1.0 release please
take a look through the JIRAs currently there and provide comments on
what is important to you, what you'd like to see moved out, in, etc..
[3].  At this point there are still a lot of things which will likely
need to move out to allow the release to occur in a timely fashion.

Also, keep in mind our stated release line/support model as found here [4].

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-dev/201601.mbox/%3CCALJK9a4dMw9PyrrihpPwM7DH3R_4v8b%3Dr--LDhK7y5scob-0og%40mail.gmail.com%3E

[2] https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.2.1/audience-annotations-apidocs/

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1887?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%201.0.0%20AND%20project%20%3D%20NIFI

[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Git+Branching+and+Release+Line+Management

Thanks
Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NiFi 0.7.0 and 1.0.0

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, it's on my list for 1.0

Oleg

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edgardo Vega <ed...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,

Edgardo

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NiFi 0.7.0 and 1.0.0

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan H <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan H <rh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Mike

Posted by Michael Moser <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
This schedule seems appropriate to me. Once 0.7.0 is released and we confirm the release date for 1.0, feature development is completely targeted to 1.0, correct? Security and data loss bug fixes would still be backported, but new features would not.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by James Wing <jv...@gmail.com>.