Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de> on 2012/01/16 15:49:38 UTC

[ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Hi,

looking at the different commons project pages, it occurs to me, that
all pages use a slightly different layout. For example comparing Lang,
BeanUtils and Collections with one another the first thing are the page
titles:

- BeanUtils - Commons
- Collections - Home

If I were to rate this titles, I would say that "BeanUtils - Commons" is
the best one, followed by "Collections - Home". "Home" from Lang's
project page is clearly the worst page title I can think of.

Looking at the content area, there is not much to complain about. All
three content areas are structured nearly the same way (although IMHO
BeanUtils content area is a bit overloaded with release informations).

When it comes to the sidebar, things get completely inconsistent.
First of all: Why doesn't Lang's homepage has a link so ApacheCon?
Why does BeanUtils have a Documentation are and a Project Documentation
area?
Where do I get all the informations about developing BeanUtils from (as
Lang and Collections have a distinct development area)?
Why does Lang's ASF area have more links than the ones of the others?
Why do the release history pages of all three projects look so
completely different?

In addition to that, I think that one thing is really missing on all of
the three above mentioned pages: There is no road map for future
releases! How can I know if I should wait for the next Collections
release, that provides generics or better start my new project using the
latest release? Maybe it will be out next week, maybe I have to wait one
year. I don't know... There really has to be a road map, so that the
users know when they can expect the next release and what they can
expect from it.

I guess, I have made my point clear, and I bet that looking at other
commons project pages would result in finding even more layout variants.
I don't want to study the page layout all over again, when I browse
through the different project pages. I want everything to be at the same
place (as far as possible). So I propose to unify all page layouts. This
post is not supposed to present the perfect layout, but rather be a
discussion starter on how such a layout could look like (if you guys
think that a unified layout is needed at all...).

Regards
Benedikt

Re: [ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 January 2012 15:02, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually Simone has already brought up a bootstrap'ped variant of the
>> Commons homepage I liked very much. Not sure what was the problem with
>> that.
>
> The major problem was that it did not meet the branding requirements.

I think the problem was/is the footer cannot be inherited from the
parent site.xml

If we add a footer section in each components section it should work.

Its worth the effort if you ask me - add a footer per component which
is likely to change one time every 10 years and get a good looking
website.

Btw, to remind people, here is the proposal of Simone:
http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/digester/

Which is still excellent.

Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Benedikt Ritter
<be...@systemoutprintln.de> wrote:
> Am 16.01.2012 16:40, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Benedikt Ritter
>> <be...@systemoutprintln.de>  wrote:

>>> I have created a jira issue:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-65
>>>
>>> What do you think about my idea of providing a road map for every
>>> project?
>>

>> Basically yes, but I am afraid that some components do not have a road
>> map because they are not maintained to well (like Jelly for example or
>> logging). I guess only a few components have enough steam to work
>> after a roadmap (like math maybe)
>

> Okay, I get that. But I think every project should at least be able to
> determine, when the next release is scheduled. As I described with
> Collections, there are major changes coming up, and it would be nice to
> know, when we can expect those to be released.
>
> Maybe every project has to consider for themselves, if they can maintain a
> road map. So as for collections, I should maybe propose that on their
> submailinglist.
> I must say, that it is a bit scary, that most project do not have at least
> an internal road map...

Well, we want your spare time.

Feel free to patch, code, suggest and finally help with a roadmap as a
committer :-)
http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Actually Simone has already brought up a bootstrap'ped variant of the
Commons homepage I liked very much. Not sure what was the problem with
that. We should put it on our table again, as the current Commons site

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [ALL] suggestion for improvement: Unify homepage layout for all commons subprojects

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Benedikt Ritter
<be...@systemoutprintln.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at the different commons project pages, it occurs to me, that all
> pages use a slightly different layout. For example comparing Lang, BeanUtils
> and Collections with one another the first thing are the page titles:

> - BeanUtils - Commons
> - Collections - Home
>
> If I were to rate this titles, I would say that "BeanUtils - Commons" is the
> best one, followed by "Collections - Home". "Home" from Lang's project page
> is clearly the worst page title I can think of.
>
> Looking at the content area, there is not much to complain about. All three
> content areas are structured nearly the same way (although IMHO BeanUtils
> content area is a bit overloaded with release informations).
>
> When it comes to the sidebar, things get completely inconsistent.
> First of all: Why doesn't Lang's homepage has a link so ApacheCon?
> Why does BeanUtils have a Documentation are and a Project Documentation
> area?
> Where do I get all the informations about developing BeanUtils from (as Lang
> and Collections have a distinct development area)?
> Why does Lang's ASF area have more links than the ones of the others?

Newer version of the site. It's almost 2 years since BeanUtils was
deployed and 4 since Collections was deployed.

> Why do the release history pages of all three projects look so completely
> different?

Not standardized. Lang's the only one with a Release History afaik.

> In addition to that, I think that one thing is really missing on all of the
> three above mentioned pages: There is no road map for future releases! How
> can I know if I should wait for the next Collections release, that provides
> generics or better start my new project using the latest release? Maybe it
> will be out next week, maybe I have to wait one year. I don't know... There
> really has to be a road map, so that the users know when they can expect the
> next release and what they can expect from it.

We don't know either.

In terms of work, the Roadmap is in JIRA - ie: look at the next
version and the issues still open. Timelines however don't exist.

> I guess, I have made my point clear, and I bet that looking at other commons
> project pages would result in finding even more layout variants.
> I don't want to study the page layout all over again, when I browse through
> the different project pages. I want everything to be at the same place (as
> far as possible). So I propose to unify all page layouts. This post is not
> supposed to present the perfect layout, but rather be a discussion starter
> on how such a layout could look like (if you guys think that a unified
> layout is needed at all...).

They're more unified than you're thinking. What you're seeing is that
they are published at wildly different times (ie: the unification is
pre-publication not after).

Hen