Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> on 2008/03/11 14:55:02 UTC

non-svn authz best practice

Greets.

First, a big thanks to all the svn devs. I have used the tool for years and Can't Live
Without It[tm].

Second, my organization is on the brink of implementing a large scale svn hosting project.
We'd like to use LDAP for both auth and authz. A trip through the mail archives this
morning tells me that there have been several threads started and aborted over the last
couple years about defining project requirements for non-svn-based authz, including a
patch to mod_authz_svn.c.[0]

The svn book suggests that a start-commit hook is the ideal place to do auth/authz checks.
I am writing today to ask

(a) is there any movement afoot to implement non-svn authz, esp LDAP-based authz, and
(b) is the start-commit hook still the recommended way to implement authz aside from the
already-existing mod_authz_svn, and if so
(c) is it recommended to set SVNPathAuthz off in mod_dav_svn config if using start-commit
to do authz?

TIA,
pek

[0] http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-07/0966.shtml
--
Peter Karman  .  peter@peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/

RE: non-svn authz best practice

Posted by Shawn Talbert <st...@exploreconsulting.com>.
Isn't 1.5 slated to have a more pluggable authentication architecture?

I remember making a mental note that we'd get (windows domain auth in my case) authentication options in the 1.5 release?