Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin van der Plas <mv...@imc.nl> on 2005/12/02 13:59:53 UTC

[m2] install non-maven 3rd party libraries with snapshots

Hi,

My project depends on artifacts delivered by a 3rd party supplier.
The supplier delivers major releases and bug fix releases on these
deliveres once a while.
Major releases have a name, minor releases are datestamped.

I want to import the  3rd party artifact as  snapshots per major release
in our company maven repository.
It seems that the maven-install-plugin  command install:installfile
cannot handle this usecase.
I now add the 3rd party artifacts manually,  editting the
maven-repository.xml files where needed.
My questions are:

   1. Is it possible to add the 3rd party snapshot requirement to
      maven-install-plugin
   2. Why is buildNumber so important in the snapshot section of
      maven-repository.xml when  timestamp is also available.  When
      buildNumber is not specified, mvn refused to download the artifact
      from the central repository.

--
Groeten,

    Martin

mailto:mvdp@imc.nl
tel: +31 (0) 20-7988464
mob: +31 (0) 6-21551921

Re: [m2] install non-maven 3rd party libraries with snapshots

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
That document is the original design, but has evolved.

the metadata files are not design for manual editing.

I would recommend not attempting to install it as a snapshot since the
version is fixed (even if the version is a timestamp)..

Brett

Posted by Martin van der Plas <mv...@imc.nl>.
Hi,

 From http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230 I get