Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/14 17:23:14 UTC

plugin verification and new NB releases

Hello,

I forgot to request verification of my little plugin for NB 13. Then i
was wondering - I bet some don't even know that they have to request
verification after every NetBeans release, otherwise it won't appear in
the plugin manager.

Searching through the plugin portal showed some useful plugins which
weren't verified since NB 12.

Could this be automated? Lets say there is a successful verification for
NetBeans N-1, it would automatically request verification for N on release.

This would increase workload for the verifiers I suppose. There is
probably also the argument to be made that the plugin maintainers should
care about their plugins and not forget things like I do.

Maybe an automated mail to the maintainers as notification to re-request
verification?

best regards,

michael

Re: plugin verification and new NB releases

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 6/15/22 12:42 PM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2022, 19:04 Ernie Rael, <er...@raelity.com> wrote:
>
>>> We effectively had automatic extension from 12.0 to 12.6, because we
>>> used the same plugins URL
>> Look like there's still some kind of automatic extension going on. 14
>> has a 14 url, but there plenty of stuff in
>> .../plugins/14/catalog.xml.gz, although the plugin portal doesn't know
>> about 14. Truly magical.
>>
> Not really! It appears my temporary redirect at feature freeze has not been
> able to be updated yet?
So not magic, just good luck. (Written on a poster held high: "stop the
plugin drain")

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
> We effectively had automatic extension from 12.0 to 12.6, because we
> used the same plugins URL

Look like there's still some kind of automatic extension going on. 14
has a 14 url, but there plenty of stuff in
.../plugins/14/catalog.xml.gz, although the plugin portal doesn't know
about 14. Truly magical.

Does the plugin portal exists outside of regular apache project handling?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 6/14/22 10:23 AM, Michael Bien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I forgot to request verification of my little plugin for NB 13. Then i
> was wondering - I bet some don't even know that they have to request
> verification after every NetBeans release, otherwise it won't appear
> in the plugin manager.

Thanks for mentioning this. I usually forget. Thought I'd add a request
for NB-14 while I was thinking about it; but alas, new version's not
there yet.

Might be good to add a version button for a new release early in the
process, maybe during RC.

> Searching through the plugin portal showed some useful plugins which
> weren't verified since NB 12.
>
> Could this be automated? Lets say there is a successful verification
> for NetBeans N-1, it would automatically request verification for N on
> release.

I'd guess it's very rare that a plugin stops working. If an automatic
extension to the next release, or something like that, isn't acceptable,
then the automated request seems useful.

There was some discussion around this in the "Postmortem 12.5" thread,
when the new versioning scheme came about

    https://lists.apache.org/thread/fzojvpgh6kboh99qfpc22x66wx7jccf9

and there is some discussion about how to specify plugin compatibility,
including a suggestion from Jaroslav Tulach,

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5064

It's a shame some plugins are almost lost, I still keep the license
changer around.

> This would increase workload for the verifiers I suppose. There is
> probably also the argument to be made that the plugin maintainers
> should care about their plugins and not forget things like I do.
>
> Maybe an automated mail to the maintainers as notification to
> re-request verification?

I'd find that useful.

-ernie