Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/21 09:59:57 UTC

[DBCP] state of DBCP

Hi,

I've submitted a patch some days ago and am waiting for comments (DBCP-175).

In the mean time, I've had a look at the status of DBCP. Some notes:

- no release since 2004

- there are 10+ issues marked UNRESOLVED but with a Resolved status in
Jira. Could be cleaned up.

- althought I don't have many problems with DBCP myself, I've seen
issues of various types in Jira: NPEs, leaks, thread related issues,
class loading issues, equals()/hashcode() issues etc... Pretty scary
to me :)

So I think it is time to decide what to do next...

Should there be a 1.2.2 release? A 1.3? Who's involved today in DBCP ?

I can help triaging those issues, sending patches to fix some of them,
but I don't want to send patches that will stay in Jira for years.

Cheers,

Jerome

Re: [DBCP] state of DBCP

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
> > Your plan sounds very good. Only question is why not using Jira in the
> > first place to target issues?
>
> Because we started planning this release before the Jira migration ;-)
>  Probably a good idea to just do it all in Jira now.  Feel free to
> jump in.

Probably can't do much with Jira in terms of editing the fix version
field as I have no rights. IANAC(ommiter) :)

> > DBCP-128 should probably be fixed later as it will probably require to
> > change the implementation of equals and hashcode. You never know what
> > this might break...
>
> Yes, that is really too bad, but I agree.
>

> > DBCP-68 was committed. See
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-68#action_12411844
> >

> Good.  Comments on other tickets and patches welcome!

I looked at your other "Recommended dispositions" in the wiki page and
they all seemed logical.

Jerome

Re: [DBCP] state of DBCP

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/06, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/21/06, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've submitted a patch some days ago and am waiting for comments (DBCP-175).
> > >
> > > In the mean time, I've had a look at the status of DBCP. Some notes:
> > >
> > > - no release since 2004
> > >
> > > - there are 10+ issues marked UNRESOLVED but with a Resolved status in
> > > Jira. Could be cleaned up.
> > >
> > > - althought I don't have many problems with DBCP myself, I've seen
> > > issues of various types in Jira: NPEs, leaks, thread related issues,
> > > class loading issues, equals()/hashcode() issues etc... Pretty scary
> > > to me :)
> > >
> > > So I think it is time to decide what to do next...
> > >
> > > Should there be a 1.2.2 release? A 1.3? Who's involved today in DBCP ?
> >
> > I have been slowly plowing through the issues and have posted a
> > release plan on the wiki here:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP/1%2e2%2e2ReleasePlan
>
> OK I am relieved :)
>
> > > I can help triaging those issues, sending patches to fix some of them,
> > > but I don't want to send patches that will stay in Jira for years.
> > >
> > Please, please keep the patches coming.  I am reviewing the ones you
> > submitted and will update Jira / apply in the next day or two.  Any
> > one else interested and knowledgeable of [dbcp] code base, pls chime
> > in.  Also, pls update the Wiki page to reflect any opinions that you
> > have on which bugs absolutely must get fixed in 1.2.2.
>
> Your plan sounds very good. Only question is why not using Jira in the
> first place to target issues?

Because we started planning this release before the Jira migration ;-)
 Probably a good idea to just do it all in Jira now.  Feel free to
jump in.

> DBCP-128 should probably be fixed later as it will probably require to
> change the implementation of equals and hashcode. You never know what
> this might break...

Yes, that is really too bad, but I agree.

> DBCP-68 was committed. See
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-68#action_12411844

Good.  Comments on other tickets and patches welcome!

Phil

Re: [DBCP] state of DBCP

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DBCP] state of DBCP

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/06, jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've submitted a patch some days ago and am waiting for comments (DBCP-175).
>
> In the mean time, I've had a look at the status of DBCP. Some notes:
>
> - no release since 2004
>
> - there are 10+ issues marked UNRESOLVED but with a Resolved status in
> Jira. Could be cleaned up.
>
> - althought I don't have many problems with DBCP myself, I've seen
> issues of various types in Jira: NPEs, leaks, thread related issues,
> class loading issues, equals()/hashcode() issues etc... Pretty scary
> to me :)
>
> So I think it is time to decide what to do next...
>
> Should there be a 1.2.2 release? A 1.3? Who's involved today in DBCP ?

I have been slowly plowing through the issues and have posted a
release plan on the wiki here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP/1%2e2%2e2ReleasePlan

> I can help triaging those issues, sending patches to fix some of them,
> but I don't want to send patches that will stay in Jira for years.

Please, please keep the patches coming.  I am reviewing the ones you
submitted and will update Jira / apply in the next day or two.  Any
one else interested and knowledgeable of [dbcp] code base, pls chime
in.  Also, pls update the Wiki page to reflect any opinions that you
have on which bugs absolutely must get fixed in 1.2.2.

Thanks!

Phil