Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2016/10/13 14:47:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Drop Hadoop 1 support with Flink 1.2

Hi,

The Apache Hadoop community has recently released the first alpha version
for Hadoop 3.0.0, while we are still supporting Hadoop 1. I think its time
to finally drop Hadoop 1 support in Flink.

The last minor Hadoop 1 release was in 27 June, 2014.
Apache Spark dropped Hadoop 1 support with their 2.0 release in July 2016.
Hadoop 2.2 was first released in October 2013, so there was enough time for
users to upgrade.

I added also the user@ list to the discussion to get opinions about this
from there as well.

Let me know what you think about this!

Regards,
Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Hadoop 1 support with Flink 1.2

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to dropping Hadoop 1.x
I am fairly certain there are very few legacy Hadoop users. 2.x is heavily
used at the moment.
Spark actually changed not just Hadoop but Python versions as well.

Hadoop 3 would take a while to mature so I would suggest holding off on
that after it is well baked in and used.

@Robert , after sufficient folks have responded to this thread and
discussed, if you could kick off a vote (if needed), then we can go ahead
and get that confirmed.
Thanks for bringing it up.

--
Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Drop Hadoop 1 support with Flink 1.2

Posted by Neelesh Salian <ns...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to dropping Hadoop 1.x

--
Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Engineer

RE: [DISCUSS] Drop Hadoop 1 support with Flink 1.2

Posted by ru...@accenture.com.

________________________________

www.accenture.com

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thanks alot for the feedback on the issue.

It seems that everybody agrees to drop Hadoop 1 support in Flink. I don't
think we need to vote on the issue.
I've filed a JIRA for the task:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4895 Maybe I'll find time to
work on it next week.