Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2015/06/05 19:25:17 UTC

[ANNOUNCE/DISCUSS] Removing support for Debian6 and Ubuntu12

Hi all,

In addition to removing build support for RHEL5 (and derivatives), I think we need to ditch Debian6 and Ubuntu12 as well. Debian6 comes, from what I can tell, with OpenSSL 0.9.8,  and Ubuntu12 comes with OpenSSL1.0.0. The minimum version we’ve said to support, as defined by RHEL6, is OpenSSL v1.0.1.

Unless there are objections to this, we’ll officially remove support for Debian6 and Ubuntu12 with ATS v6.0.0. This is inline with the already agreed and approved removal of RHEL5 support.

Cheers,

— Leif

Re: [ANNOUNCE/DISCUSS] Removing support for Debian6 and Ubuntu12

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Jun 5, 2015, at 3:30 PM, James Peach <jp...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In addition to removing build support for RHEL5 (and derivatives), I think we need to ditch Debian6 and Ubuntu12 as well. Debian6 comes, from what I can tell, with OpenSSL 0.9.8,  and Ubuntu12 comes with OpenSSL1.0.0. The minimum version we’ve said to support, as defined by RHEL6, is OpenSSL v1.0.1.
>
> In the previous vote, the package list was specified as:
>
> 	gcc-4.4.7-11.el6.x86_64
> 	openssl-1.0.1e-30.el6.8.x86_64
> 	bison-2.4.1-5.el6.x86_64
> 	pcre-7.8-6.el6.x86_64
> 	hwloc-1.5-3.el6_5.x86_64
> 	libxml2-2.7.6-17.el6_6.1.x86_64
> 	tcl-8.5.7-6.el6.x86_64
> 	zlib-1.2.3-29.el6.x86_64
> 	libcap-2.16-5.5.el6.x86_64
> 	xz-libs-4.999.9-0.5.beta.20091007git.el6.x86_64
> 	glibc-2.12-1.149.el6_6.5.x86_64

Which is the list from RHEL6, our “minimum viable OS release”. The point of picking RHEL6 was exactly to avoid whack-a-mole. It’s perfectly clear from our decision to support RHEL6 and up, which versions of the packages we require.

It seems that Ubuntu12 is just confused, and does indeed have OpenSSL 1.0.1, even though their library / package name is 1.0.0. So, we can continue to support Ubuntu12 it seems.

As for Debian 6, I don’t know if we’re doing something wrong there, but I can not get it to install anything newer than OpenSSL 0.9.8 (and, we are in fact currently broken on the builds).

> Rather than playing whack-a-mole with OS versions, let's verify the actual dependencies. We also need an up to date and accessible support page, since https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Supported+Operating+Systems is hard to find and out of date.

Yes, that needs to be updated.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Graham <mg...@bloxx.com>.
On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 18:33 -0400, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> Hmmm, our Debian6 build box has 0.9.8, and I can not seem to get it
> updated beyond that.

My bad.  Debian 6 is squeeze (aka oldoldstable) not wheezy (aka
oldstable) so yeah Debian 6 only has 0.9.8.

Michael Graham <mg...@bloxx.com>

Re: [ANNOUNCE/DISCUSS] Removing support for Debian6 and Ubuntu12

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Jun 5, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Michael Graham <mg...@bloxx.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2015-06-05 at 13:25 -0400, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>> Unless there are objections to this, we’ll officially remove support
>> for Debian6 and Ubuntu12 with ATS v6.0.0. This is inline with the
>> already agreed and approved removal of RHEL5 support.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding you the version of openssl that comes with
> Ubuntu 12.04 is 1.0.1 which is the same as Debian 6 even though the
> package name for libssl has 1.0.0 in it.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libssl1.0.0

Hmmm, our Debian6 build box has 0.9.8, and I can not seem to get it updated beyond that.

root@debian6:~# cat /etc/debian_version
6.0.10
root@debian6:~# ls -lrt /usr/lib/libssl.so*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 356608 Feb 11  2013 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     15 Apr 18  2014 /usr/lib/libssl.so -> libssl.so.0.9.8

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libssl1.0.0

Well, that’s pretty crazy :). Ok, So, if this is true, it sounds like we can keep Ubuntu 12 in the supported list of platforms.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Graham <mg...@bloxx.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In addition to removing build support for RHEL5 (and derivatives), I think
> we need to ditch Debian6 and Ubuntu12 as well. Debian6 comes, from what I
> can tell, with OpenSSL 0.9.8,  and Ubuntu12 comes with OpenSSL1.0.0. The
> minimum version we’ve said to support, as defined by RHEL6, is OpenSSL
> v1.0.1.
>
> Unless there are objections to this, we’ll officially remove support for
> Debian6 and Ubuntu12 with ATS v6.0.0. This is inline with the already
> agreed and approved removal of RHEL5 support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> — Leif

+1

Re: [ANNOUNCE/DISCUSS] Removing support for Debian6 and Ubuntu12

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In addition to removing build support for RHEL5 (and derivatives), I think
> we need to ditch Debian6 and Ubuntu12 as well. Debian6 comes, from what I
> can tell, with OpenSSL 0.9.8,  and Ubuntu12 comes with OpenSSL1.0.0. The
> minimum version we’ve said to support, as defined by RHEL6, is OpenSSL
> v1.0.1.
>
> Unless there are objections to this, we’ll officially remove support for
> Debian6 and Ubuntu12 with ATS v6.0.0. This is inline with the already
> agreed and approved removal of RHEL5 support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> — Leif

+1