Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk> on 2003/10/09 18:42:04 UTC

DTDs vs. Schemas

Hi,

I've been playing around with the Forrest DTD, and have hit upon the
limitation of having no W3 XML Schema for it. (I need namespaces, so DTDs
are no use to me.)

Before I spend time converting the current DTDs to schemas, does anyone
already have some, and if so, could they commit them to CVS?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk

Re: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by Eric BURGHARD <eb...@free.fr>.
Le Vendredi 10 Octobre 2003 16:39, Johan Kok a écrit :
> +1 for RelaxNG

Some editors (http://www.oxygenxml.com) already do in-line completion with
RelaxNG, and other will follow. So +1 for RelaxNG

RE: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by Johan Kok <jk...@messianic.dyndns.org>.
+1 for RelaxNG

Re: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> We have talked in the past about this dilemma (here and cocoon-dev).
> One other proposed technology was RELAX NG. From memory we talked
> about holding an authoritative RNG and generating DTDs and stuff.

+1 from me to have RelaxNG used.

> Some past discussion (there is much more) ...
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102887074620179
> [RT] Instead of XHTML 1.0, why don't we implement a subset of the XHTML
> 2.0 proposal?

Yes, I remember, XHTML2 has a RelaxNG version available.

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103994976707745
> Re: [PROPOSAL] DTD Versioning (Re: Should href be required on link

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> J.Pietschmann wrote:
>
> > Andrew Savory wrote:
> >
> >> I've been playing around with the Forrest DTD, and have hit upon the
> >> limitation of having no W3 XML Schema for it. (I need namespaces, so DTDs
> >> are no use to me.)
> >>
> >> Before I spend time converting the current DTDs to schemas, does anyone
> >> already have some, and if so, could they commit them to CVS?
> >
> > You should take a look at the CyberNeko DTD converter:
> >  http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/index.html
> > or Trang
> >  http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html
> >
> > Neither is an install&go but still much simpler than to rewrite
> > moderatly complex DTDs as WXS by hand.
>
> We need to have at least two version, because DTDs are a bonus for
> editors, and we need something else for multi-namespace validation.
>
> What do you suggest we do? I thought that we shouold keep one version
> hand-written and the other automatically converted. In this way we have
> schemas for normal validation and automatically-generated DTDs for
> editors and for people using single-namespace validation.
>
> Suggestions?

We have talked in the past about this dilemma (here and cocoon-dev).
One other proposed technology was RELAX NG. From memory we talked
about holding an authoritative RNG and generating DTDs and stuff.

Some past discussion (there is much more) ...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102887074620179
[RT] Instead of XHTML 1.0, why don't we implement a subset of the XHTML
2.0 proposal?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103994976707745
Re: [PROPOSAL] DTD Versioning (Re: Should href be required on link

--David

Re: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: DTDs vs. Schemas

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andrew Savory wrote:
> I've been playing around with the Forrest DTD, and have hit upon the
> limitation of having no W3 XML Schema for it. (I need namespaces, so DTDs
> are no use to me.)
>
> Before I spend time converting the current DTDs to schemas, does anyone
> already have some, and if so, could they commit them to CVS?

You should take a look at the CyberNeko DTD converter:
  http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/index.html
or Trang
  http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

Neither is an install&go but still much simpler than to rewrite
moderatly complex DTDs as WXS by hand.

J.Pietschmann