Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/07/09 10:08:31 UTC

Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself

Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>

>> In walking through the incubation documents (helping a couple of
>> groups who have asked me about how to do this) it struck me that there
>> was no requirement that the proposal provide a link to download and
>> evaluate the code around which a project is being proposed - in fact
>> it appears the code itself could be kept secret until project
>> acceptance into the incubator.

Another thought:

What if a company considers to introduce an open source strategy,
but the decision depends on whether the code is accepted as an
Apache project or not? I think they will avoid showing the code
before the project is accepted or rejected.

I'm not experienced when it comes to these things, I hope you
tolerate my silly statements and maybe I can even learn
something :)

-- Andreas

Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
"Andreas Hartmann" <an...@apache.org> writes:
> Another thought:
>
> What if a company considers to introduce an open source strategy,
> but the decision depends on whether the code is accepted as an
> Apache project or not? I think they will avoid showing the code
> before the project is accepted or rejected.

Given that there are many places where one can start an open source
project, IMO it makes perfect sense for Apache to have a higher
standard. If the company's strategy question is whether to open source
or not, then if the decision depends on acceptance to Apache then I'd
say we're better off without it!

Sanjiva.