Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de> on 2014/02/16 09:43:08 UTC

Looking for org.apache.poi 3.10-FINAL

Hi,

I'm new to maven & thought I'd try it out on the recently checked-in:
org.apache.poi    3.10-FINAL

I'm using m2eclipse standard config with Eclipse Kepler.  Repo defaults to:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2

The Problem:
m2eclipse does not know the  org.apache.poi  3.10-FINAL  artifact.

Now, I guess the problem could be any combination of:
a) me  b) POI  c) maven  d) m2eclipse  e) eclipse?

QUESTION) Can anyone help to localise it?

Here's what I've found out so far:

0) repo is: http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2

1) org.apache.poi  3.10-FINAL was committed @ 09-Feb-2014 11:50

2) as of now repo Timestamp is: 09-Feb-2014 13:50
(nexus.index.timestamp=20140209134945.568 +0000)
(found in
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/.index/nexus-maven-repository-index.properties)

3) -> so repo has been reindexed since org.apache.poi  3.10-FINAL commit
(6 days ago).

4) exit eclipse

5) deleted the index
C:\...\Eclipse\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.m2e.core\nexus

6) start eclipse -> "updating index"

7) org.apache.poi  3.10-FINAL is still not there (that is: "here") in my
list of artifacts

All the best,
DaveLaw

Re: Looking for org.apache.poi 3.10-FINAL

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Baptiste,

if you'd looked on the m2e list, you would have seen my postings.

When the problem arose, it was not at all clear which component was to
blame,
so it makes sense to post to all relevant forums.

All the best,
DaveLaw

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Dave, Ron & everyone,

David Law wrote:
> Now, I guess the problem could be any combination of:
> a) me  b) POI  c) maven  d) m2eclipse  e) eclipse?

In this sort of case, it is helpful to do more tests to narrow things down.
Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread, but did you actually try
building from the command line, to eliminate M2E from the equation? Of
course, it is too late now, since 3.10-FINAL is already indexed in Central
at this point, but if you encounter the issue again, would be worth a shot.

Ron Wheeler wrote:
> I don't think that it has anything to do with m2e since the Nexus repo
> has the same problem proxying Maven Central.

FWIW, my team has a hacky way to force Nexus to update its cache for a
given proxy repository; see:
https://github.com/scijava/scijava-scripts/blob/c7fadf95eae7a231ed729fc7a1b23c6a2944ee12/maven-helper.sh#L195

Basically it just deletes the maven-metadata.xml and artifact JAR out of
the /service/local/data_cache/repositories/*/content area, so that the next
time that information is requested, Nexus is forced to query upstream
immediately. Without this hack, we were not seeing our new releases on OSS
Sonatype trickle down to our Nexus right away.

Regards,
Curtis

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Hi Martin,

thanks for that.  Unfortunately its no help if you don't use Nexus.

All the best,
DaveLaw

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Ron, Wayne,

Posted by David Law <Da...@apconsult.de>.
Ron, Wayne,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Hi Wayne,

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Anders,

Tack för det.

Dave

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, 16 February 2014, David Law <m2...@apconsult.de> wrote:

> Hi Stuart,
>
> thanks once again!  The only person to supply useful information.
>
> I checked the Nexus Index Timestamp from the repo this morning 05:39 CET
> and:
> nexus.index.timestamp=20140209134945.568 +0000
> Over 6 days old!!
>
> Just checked it again and:
> nexus.index.timestamp=20140216125157.106 +0000
>
> And, not surprisingly, my m2eclipse can now find the artifact.
>
> So that means maven central took over 6 days to index this content.
> That is quite incredible!

I would suggest you take this issue up with Sonatype, who maintain central
and it's indexing

Also before completely blaming Sonatype I would suggest you find out
exactly when POI released the staging repo on repository.a.o as it only
gets synced to central IIRC up to 8h after being promoted on the ASF nexus
instance

Sent from my phone

Re: Looking for org.apache.poi 3.10-FINAL

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Hi Stuart,

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Looking for org.apache.poi 3.10-FINAL

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Hi Stuart,

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Looking for org.apache.poi 3.10-FINAL

Posted by David Law <m2...@apconsult.de>.
Hi Mirko,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.