Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net> on 2004/03/22 03:04:34 UTC

Programmatically deploying webapps

Hi!

I am stuck here :-/
Perhaps anyone could give me a poke in the right direction.

What is want to do is this: I am writing an "installer" for my web
application. It is intended to ask the user for hostnames/IP-addresses
for tomcat and a db-server, edit the context.xml to reflect the
datasource, do some sql initialisation (so far, so good) and then (now
that seems tricky) antomatically deploy the (local) war to a remote
tomcat instance. It seems possible at least with tc5, since the ant
task and the deployer app seem to do exactly this. How can it be archived?

Thanks in advance

		Phil

RE: Programmatically deploying webapps

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
You can archive your web app using ant's jar task.

Mark

Re: Ant and Tomcat Manager over HTTPS

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Phil,

In other words DON'T use the reply to when starting a new thread. Got It!

Was unaware of that one. Haven't played with mail enough yet. Next on my
to-do list.

Now where was that old shoe I was saving for such an occasion.

I stand corrected.

Doug

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Parsons Technical Services wrote:
> Harry DID start his own. He may have used the same subject line as an old
> message, but nothing existing in the last few months.

I am sorry, but he did not. Quoting from the headers:

Philipp Taprogge wrote:
Subject: Programmatically deploying webapps

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Phil,

Harry DID start his own. He may have used the same subject line as an old
message, but nothing existing in the last few months.

Yeah I know, time for an afternoon nap or some caffeine.....

Doug

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
Hi Phil

> Firstly, it would be nice if you could start your own thread next time
> instead of hijacking an existing one with your question.

I am sorry you thought I had hijacked a thread - I thought I had started a
new one! (Did you have a thread with the same subject name?)

> As for your problem: is SSL not working altogether or is it just ant
> complaining? Can you access the manager via a browser using https?

Just Ant complaining, with the exception I mentioned:

    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
    sun.security.validator.ValidatorException:
    No trusted certificate found

I can access the manager via SSL with my browser. That all works fine.

Ant is unhappy.

Kind regards

Harry

Re: Ant and Tomcat Manager over HTTPS

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Tomcat Manager tasks in Ant
over HTTPS?

I had everything working beautifully over HTTP, then I got the bright idea
to get Manager to work off HTTPS only, and now my Ant tasks are all broken.

I re-set Ant's Manager ULR to HTTPS//:...:8443/... But I get this error:

    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
    sun.security.validator.ValidatorException:
    No trusted certificate found

Sadly, certificates are still a mystery to me. I rolled my own as per the
Tomcat how-to, and for my development needs that was fine, but I never got
past that stage.

Now I am running my own server, and I have got to bite this bullet. Any
pointers would be much appreciated!

Regards

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK