Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tom Peryam <tr...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/20 19:27:46 UTC

SMTP/POP3 Failures using VC++ mail clients

I am evaluating James as an SMTP/POP3 server for a
major project that involves sending and receiving
emails via a custom windows mail client written in
VC++.

I am able to send/retrieve emails using various
off-the-shelf email clients (Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, etc.). However, when send using a
variety of VC++ custom mail clients, I see the mails
arrive, the SMTP log reports "Successfully
spooled...", but POP3 server chokes when trying to
retrieve those
messages.

When I remove the offending messages from the
associated boxes, normality resumes. If I look at
the FileStreamStore for the bad messages, there appear
to be some anomalies in the text.

If would appreciate advice from anyone who has
experienced this behavior or who might know what's
going on.

Thanks,
Tom Peryam

+------------------------------------+
  THOMAS R. PERYAM
  Total Enterprise Consulting
  PO Box 712709
  Santee, CA 92072-2709
  phone: 619.672.4558
  email: trperyam@yahoo.com
+------------------------------------+

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

Re: SMTP/POP3 Failures using VC++ mail clients

Posted by Hes Siemelink <he...@izecom.com>.
Theodore Watson wrote:
> This sounds like a problem I was posting under "pop3 getting stuck on certain
> email".
>
> If it's the same thing, Hes Siemelink has posted a patch in the bug tracker
> which I am currently testing.  So far so good.

Could be.

It's in Pop3Handler. When it encounters an error writing a message
during TOP, it does not end the message with a <CRLF>.<CRLF> but
with an error code. Some clients don't handle this well.

The quick-fix I made for the TOP command is very simple: it makes sure
the end dot is always printed.

In POP3Handler.java:971 (2.2.0 release), replace

     mc.writeContentTo(nouts, lines);

     nouts.flush();
     out.println(".");
     out.flush();

with

     try {
         mc.writeContentTo(nouts, lines);
     }
     catch (Exception ex) {
         // Do not print anything
         // TODO: return -ERR before serving the message
         getLogger().error(
           "Exception while retrieving top of message.", ex);
         }
     finally {
         nouts.flush();
         out.println(".");
         out.flush();
     }

So you won't get your data but at least the client doesn't hang.

Cheers,

	Hes.

Re: SMTP/POP3 Failures using VC++ mail clients

Posted by Theodore Watson <te...@mindbridge.com>.

Posted by ap...@bago.org.