Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/10/16 20:21:28 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
for voting.

Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC4 are:
- Stability fixes in the APR/native connector
- Stability fixes for non-blocking IO and WebSocket
- Improvements to unit tests to reduce incidence of false reports
- Add a drawing board example to the WebSocket examples
- A handful of bug fixes
- A small number of enhancements including direct gzip support in the
  default Servlet
- More HTML clean-up

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC5/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-186/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC5/

The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

On 16.10.2013 20:21, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
> for voting.
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

Tested .zip distribution on Windows 7 64-bit, and .tar.gz on CentOS 5
64-bit:

- Tested SSL/TLS connectivity for BIO, NIO and APR connectors (Windows).

- Crawled all links (except /manager, /host-manager and
/examples/async*). No broken links found, except links to JavaDocs
(Windows).

- Smoke tests of BIO, NIO and APR, with and without TLS, all passed
(Windows).

- Tested with several webapps that are in active development (Linux).

-Ognjen

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The votes cast were

+1 (alpha): kpreisser, rjung*, Ognjen Blagojevic, yoavs*, violetagg,
            markt*
(*) binding

No other votes were cast.

With three binding +1 votes and three non-binding +1 votes this vote passes.

I'll upload the release to the mirrors and announce it once the mirrors
have sync'd (probably tomorrow).

Thanks to everyone who voted and to everyone who has been tested the
8.0.x RC's.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/16 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC4 are:
> - Stability fixes in the APR/native connector
> - Stability fixes for non-blocking IO and WebSocket
> - Improvements to unit tests to reduce incidence of false reports
> - Add a drawing board example to the WebSocket examples
> - A handful of bug fixes
> - A small number of enhancements including direct gzip support in the
>   default Servlet
> - More HTML clean-up
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC5/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-186/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC5/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

Checked with applications that use the new specifications features.

Regards
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/10/2013 19:21, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC4 are:
> - Stability fixes in the APR/native connector
> - Stability fixes for non-blocking IO and WebSocket
> - Improvements to unit tests to reduce incidence of false reports
> - Add a drawing board example to the WebSocket examples
> - A handful of bug fixes
> - A small number of enhancements including direct gzip support in the
>   default Servlet
> - More HTML clean-up
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC5/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-186/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC5/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

Unit tests pass consistently on Windows, Linux and OSX.

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

(non-binding)

Looks good to me.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC5

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 16.10.2013 20:21, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC4 are:
> - Stability fixes in the APR/native connector
> - Stability fixes for non-blocking IO and WebSocket
> - Improvements to unit tests to reduce incidence of false reports
> - Add a drawing board example to the WebSocket examples
> - A handful of bug fixes
> - A small number of enhancements including direct gzip support in the
>   default Servlet
> - More HTML clean-up
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC5/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-186/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC5/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

+1 as alpha.

Overview:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src consistent with svn tag
- builds fine but
  - Few warning about unsafe or unchecked operations.
    Only 0 or 1 new one, some of the RC1 ones are fixed.
    See full list at end of mail.
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- some tiny MBean data changes
- No unit test failures, great!

- Warnings, errors and exception counts during unit tests a bit
  higher than for RC 3

- JMX MBean-Comparison with RC 3 (all expected):
  - MBean example webapp new welcome file index.xhtml
  - MBean example webapp ignoreAnnotations changed from false to true
  - Runtime MBean common.loader system property all entries are now
    quoted.

Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_40. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.29 based on APR 1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few
patches).

Unit test warnings: 95
  - 29 more than RC1, 13 less than RC3
  - most additional ones in tribes, especially from 27 (RC1) resp.
    59 (RC3) to 46 (RC5):
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message
to:org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://
  - 8 ones new in RC3, still in RC5:
      org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.shutdownExecutor The
executor associated with thread pool [http-apr-127.0.0.1-auto-I] has not
fully shutdown. Some application threads may still be running.
  - up from 4 (RC3) to 6:
      IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel.
Probable cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].

Unit test SEVERE messages: 420 total (-19 rel RC1, -37 rel RC3).

Here's the top 20 SEVERE messages:

Count  Message
  48 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor
/.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
  48 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatch] in context with path [] threw
exception [Opps.] with root cause
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet error threw exception
  27 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event
threw exception
  15 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] appears to have started a thread named
[pool-N-thread-M] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
  15 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [servlet] in context with path [] threw
exception
  12
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   9
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error
listenerStart
   6
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[GET] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   6
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.
   6 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] is still processing a request that has yet to
finish. This is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the
time allowed for requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute
of the standard Context implementation.
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [regular] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/test] threw
exception [/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46)
Attribute qualified names must be unique within an element] with root cause
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.event
Servlet.service() for servlet [comet] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Skipped
installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error
configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

"Exception" in output of unit tests: 467 times (-8 rel. RC1, -26 rel RC5).

Top exception counts:

Count Exception
  75 javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
  48 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
  39 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp] is not valid
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element is limited
to 1 occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is limited to 1
occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <absolute-ordering> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9 java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character encountered.
   9 java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   9 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war] is not valid
   6 org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6 org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask.run
IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable
cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].
   6 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to process parts as no
multi-part configuration has been provided
   6 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
   5 org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender not connected.;
No faulty members identified.
   5 java.lang.NullPointerException
   4 javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
   4 java.lang.IllegalStateException

As always I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages
are important.

"unchecked" warnings likely the same as RC3:

Tipis
=====

All known

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());
                                                        ^
  required: K
  found:    Serializable
  where K is a type-variable:
    K extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());

       ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:666: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                        if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null )
entry.setValue((V) mapmsg.getValue());

                 ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:672: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    entry.setValue((V) re);
                                       ^
  required: V
  found:    ReplicatedMapEntry
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:674: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null ) entry.setValue((V)
mapmsg.getValue());

             ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

JDBC-Pool
=========

.../modules/jdbc-pool/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/PoolProperties.java:973:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
            return (Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>)clazz;
                                                     ^
  required: Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>
  found:    Class<CAP#1>
  where CAP#1 is a fresh type-variable:
    CAP#1 extends Object from capture of ?

DBCP
====

All known:

.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1782: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked call to
GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>,GenericObjectPoolConfig,AbandonedConfig)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
            gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory, new
GenericObjectPoolConfig(),
                  ^
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1786: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked call to GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
            gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory);
                  ^
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1799: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked conversion
        factory.setPool(gop);
                        ^
  required: ObjectPool<PoolableConnection>
  found:    GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1800: warning:
[unchecked] unchecked conversion
        connectionPool = gop;
                         ^
  required: GenericObjectPool<Connection>
  found:    GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/LinkedBlockingDeque.java:1180:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
            E item = (E)s.readObject();
                                    ^
  required: E
  found:    Object
  where E is a type-variable:
    E extends Object declared in class LinkedBlockingDeque
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolableCallableStatement.java:78:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to returnObject(K,V) as a member of
the raw type KeyedObjectPool
                _pool.returnObject(_key,this);
                                  ^
  where K,V are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
    V extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:290:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement( key.getSql()),
key, _pstmtPool, this));
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:298:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement(
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/PoolImplUtils.java:86:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
                (Class<? extends T>) clazz.getSuperclass();
                                                        ^
  required: Class<? extends T>
  found:    Class<CAP#1>
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in method
<T>getGenericType(Class<T>,Class<? extends T>)
  where CAP#1,CAP#2 are fresh type-variables:
    CAP#1 extends Object super: CAP#2 from capture of ? super CAP#2
    CAP#2 extends T from capture of ? extends T

Regards,

Rainer