Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rémy <re...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/14 10:41:19 UTC

pom.xml : element

Hello,

What is the purpose of the <scm> element defined in the pom.xml. I can't
understand its usefulness.
In Hudson, the link to the SCM is configured in the job. When I make a
release (maven-release-plugin), I feel that the plugin is based on
information contained in the workspace.

http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#SCM

Thank you.

Remy

Re: pom.xml : element

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Mainly it's used by maven-scm-plugin and maven-release-plugin. Or any other
plugin that uses this metadata. The POM is all about describing a project.
This info/metadata can then be used by any plugin or tool. For instance, the
scm info is also used by M2Eclipse if you want to checkout a project based
on the scm info of a pom.xml.

/Anders

Re: AW: pom.xml : element

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mi...@friedenhagen.de>.
Am 14.12.2009 um 13:08 schrieb Mark Struberg:
> the <scm> element in the pom is used for every SCM action in maven, e.g. if you do a mvn release:prepare / mvn release:perform and stuff.
>
> Since Hudson and other CI environments often do not rely on the build system for updating the project, they have the ability to do this their self (otoh, some CI systems do use maven-scm internally, but get the scm URL parameter from the UI rather than the pom.

Hm, just lately I tried the following with a project in Subversion:
- Checked out a project from trunk
    <scm>
        <connection>scm:svn:file:///Software/nobackup/svn/myproject/branches/stable</connection>
        <developerConnection>scm:svn:file:///Software/nobackup/svn/myproject/branches/stable</developerConnection>
    </scm>
    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
                    <tagBase>file:///Software/nobackup/svn/myproject/releases</tagBase>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

- Both developerConnection and connection in the pom point to branches/stable
- My goal was to have releases built from this stable branch and tags landing under releases.
- When I issued "mvn release:prepare" from the trunk checkout not the branches/stable version was released but the (trunk) working copy was copied to releases.

Best Regards
Mirko

AW: pom.xml : element

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
the <scm> element in the pom is used for every SCM action in maven, e.g. if you do a mvn release:prepare / mvn release:perform and stuff.

Since Hudson and other CI environments often do not rely on the build system for updating the project, they have the ability to do this their self (otoh, some CI systems do use maven-scm internally, but get the scm URL parameter from the UI rather than the pom.

LieGrue,
strub