Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TR...@stibo.dk> on 2000/07/11 11:53:46 UTC

RE: Off-Topic: Is there any standard compressed ASCII format for valid XML documents?

> > Your solution means that it will not be valid XML anymore.
> > XML was deliberately designed to be verbose and readable instead of
> compact.
>
> It doesn't need to be valid XML, but it needs to be ASCII.

Why?

> > What is wrong with your own suggestion of using gzip or so?
>
> I cannot produce (g)zipped data from the database

Probably not, but the question is why you are having a direct database connection across a 64k line.

> > If you need plain ascii then use the MIME::Base64 encoding
> to get it.
>
> That makes no sense, because it would cause even more data to be
> transmitted.

Not if it is gzipped first.  Or bzip2'ed.

> > Another approach is building a virtual private network
> between the two
> endpoints and enable compression in _that_.   That is easily
> done with ssh
> between two Unix-machines, and allow you to keep your software base
> unmodified.
>
> This could possibly be an option for me.

The -C option to ssh uses the gzip algorithm to do the compression.  If this is available to you, I think it should be the best of both worlds.

Otherwise you might consider setting up a local Cocoon on the database machine and do the XSLT processing there.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen   "...and...Tubular Bells!"