Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Dale G. Herrig" <dg...@osi.com> on 2000/01/27 23:11:16 UTC

HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL

I am trying to activate a servlet runnig TomCat "standalone"
without the Apache server. Is this
the problem or is it because the I don't have something configured
correctly. I was able run the same  using Sun's Web Server.

The problem I am having is this, I get the following
error:

Error: 400
HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL

Here is a snipplet of my  html file:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
Oracle DB Query
</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY >
 SimpleDataBase SQL <br>
 <FORM ACTION=http://localhost:8080/examples/WEB_INF/classes/SQLQuery
      METHOD=POST>

<TABLE STYLE="HEIGHT: 173px; WIDTH: 242px">

<TR>
 <TD>Oracle</TD>
 <TD> <input type="radio" name="dbVendor" value = "Oracle" checked>
</TD>

</TR

Thank You,

Re: HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
"Dale G. Herrig" wrote:

> I am trying to activate a servlet runnig TomCat "standalone"
> without the Apache server. Is this
> the problem or is it because the I don't have something configured
> correctly. I was able run the same  using Sun's Web Server.
>
> The problem I am having is this, I get the following
> error:
>
> Error: 400
> HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL

I'm pretty sure the problem stems from the ACTION URL you're using.
Assuming you're using the default configuration, where /examples
is the URI path for a specific context, you're trying to request a
file that's located in the protected WEB-INF directory. Most likely
this results in the default servlet being invoked, and it doesn't
support POST requests.

If what you really want is to invoke a servlet class named SQLQuery,
located in the /examples/WEB-INF/classes directory (i.e. the default
directory for class files in the /examples context), use a URL like

  http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SQLQuery

instead.

Hans

--