Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dzonatas <dz...@dzonux.net> on 2008/01/23 03:03:24 UTC

New feature request: svn deploy

Hello,

I have a request for a new feature on subversion to make file deployment
manageable.

The command would follow the scheme:

svn deploy sURL dURL

and

svn deploy dURL

sURL is the URL to the subversion repository.

dURL is destination to where to deploy the files. Accepts either ftp://
addresses or local file system addresses. (maybe ssh/scp addresses as well)

There would more info than an export and less then a checkout. Only
minimal information is stored in the ".svn" at the dURL location.

A "svn deploy" acts like:

* "svn checkout" if sURL is specified.
* "svn update" if sURL is not specified.

The default would be not to store any backup or local revision of each
file in the .svn directory; hence, it would appear like an "export" but
with the .svn directory to contain minimal information, like hash and
version information.

The command "svn deploy" can be executed on any remote site.  If dURL
has already been setup, then svn deploy will find the original sURL
stored on dURL and proceed to transfer files from sURL to dURL as
needed. It may require authentication for both sURL and dURL if auth is
not cached anywhere.

Food for thought for future features. Thanks for reading.

Dz

Re: New feature request: svn deploy

Posted by Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 22, 2008 9:03 PM, Dzonatas <dz...@dzonux.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a request for a new feature on subversion to make file deployment
> manageable.
>
> The command would follow the scheme:
>
> svn deploy sURL dURL
>
> and
>
> svn deploy dURL
>

> sURL is the URL to the subversion repository.
>
> dURL is destination to where to deploy the files. Accepts either ftp://
> addresses or local file system addresses. (maybe ssh/scp addresses as well)
>
> There would more info than an export and less then a checkout. Only
> minimal information is stored in the ".svn" at the dURL location.
>
> A "svn deploy" acts like:
>
> * "svn checkout" if sURL is specified.
> * "svn update" if sURL is not specified.
>
> The default would be not to store any backup or local revision of each
> file in the .svn directory; hence, it would appear like an "export" but
> with the .svn directory to contain minimal information, like hash and
> version information.
>
> The command "svn deploy" can be executed on any remote site.  If dURL
> has already been setup, then svn deploy will find the original sURL
> stored on dURL and proceed to transfer files from sURL to dURL as
> needed. It may require authentication for both sURL and dURL if auth is
> not cached anywhere.
>
> Food for thought for future features. Thanks for reading.
>
> Dz

I think there has been talk here and there for making the extra
"pristine" copy in the admin area optional during checkout.  This
would get you what you wanted, but not put it into a whole new
command.  Now when will that be implemented?  No idea.  But you have
definitely encountered a need that a lot of other people have...they
want a working copy, they don't want to double their working copy
size.

Troy

--
"Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
Download now at http://getfirefox.com