Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> on 2009/12/10 05:57:08 UTC

reworking CONTRIBUTORS file

current version:
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/trunk/CONTRIBUTORS>

""""
libcloud is a collaborative project made possible by social coding.  Individual
contributions are licensed to libcloud.org under various licenses, outlined
below.  Individual drivers may be maintained by a specific party -- for patches
to a certain driver or questions regarding its maintenance, feel free to contact
the maintainer.
""""

Two issues:
 1) Everything is ASL at the ASF
 2) I think we should try to encourage potential contributions to the
mailing list, rather than contacting an individual.

I think it is good to have some metadata about a driver, beyond just
who wrote it, like what it all supports, etc, but I'm not quite sure
the CONTRIBUTORS file is the right place for it.

Any thoughts on how we should redactor & update this file?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: reworking CONTRIBUTORS file

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Another way would be to track it through JIRA. A project may have
components, so we could have one component per driver, and each
component can have a lead developer. For an example see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Acomponents-panel.

Tom

Re: [libcloud] Re: reworking CONTRIBUTORS file

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
A change log is a good place to list each contributor with a short
summary of the change they made. This is typically added by the
committer on each commit. E.g.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Tom

Posted by Jed Smith <je...@jedsmith.org>.