Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by David Van Couvering <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/06/16 20:39:28 UTC

Apache Derby (in the guise of Java DB) now shipping in Sun Java SE SDK

As you may or may not have seen on the blogosphere, build 88 of Mustang
includes Java DB 10.2, Sun's supported distribution of Derby 10.2.

This is great news, both for our team and for developers.  Developers
get the Best Database In the World (TM) out-of-the box, and Derby will
likely get a lot more users and attention!

If you want to check it out, please go to

http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries/

David

Re: Apache Derby (in the guise of Java DB) now shipping in Sun Java SE SDK

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Judes Tumuhairwe wrote:
> How do I vote? (it doesn't say---*it's possible that I missed it*).

First, you need to login -- you can create a login at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/ if you haven't already.

After you login, go to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-396 .
On the left-hand side you should see an "Operations" menu with a
"Voting" option near the bottom.

regards,

 -jean

Posted by Judes Tumuhairwe <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Edson,

By using the RENAME TABLE command, you can eliminate one of the
data-copies mentioned in your workaround.

Regards,
-Rick

Posted by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <ed...@mgrinformatica.com.br>.
Sorry, but I can't agree...
1) So whenever I used the table, now I need to rewrite to use the view.
Or should I start to use views everywhere?
2) What is impact of performance?
3) It can't be done if column is not null. Is not possible to change
column to nullable (may be defining a default).

Any solution here is a wacky workaround for something near to simple...
If Derby team really wan't to gain developers, need to think in them...
not fight against.

Some hours ago, I've seen an announcement about JMX integration. It's
beauty. But for a developer, it's mean near nothing, because management
(as far as I could understand) is usefull if you have a database running...

Still too complicate. I really do prefer some "rename column
TABLE.COLUMN to NEWCOLUMN" (like in SapDB/MaxDB) or some kind of ALTER
TABLE ALTER COLUMN... like other databases do... and I (and others, be
sure) will remain with other products until then...

tkx for the tips (besides I already knew them)...

Richter

Posted by Suavi Ali Demir <de...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <ed...@mgrinformatica.com.br>.

Posted by Suavi Ali Demir <de...@yahoo.com>.